Warning: Return code of 127 for check of service...

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
dwhitfield
Former Nagios Staff

Re: Warning: Return code of 127 for check of service...

Post by dwhitfield »

I was focusing on
vext wrote:This is happening on only one of our Nagios hosts.
and
We have ~10 nagios hosts due to inherited architecture, and only one is exhibiting this behavior.
I get that the one server is partially working, but what is different about that server?
vext

Post by vext »

I think I may have found the issue, though I ran out of time before validating a fix.
I had missed that in the "define service" from objects.cache it did not list servicegroups. That is the key difference. It seems that between expanding hostgroups and servicegroups I was overloading the environment.
First thing tomorrow I will try disabling enable_environment_macros and validating if any of our checks are relying on that.
Even if they are it should be ready enough to solve by modifying the checks to take them as arguments, and adjusting the command definitions to pass them along.
dwhitfield
Former Nagios Staff

Post by dwhitfield »

If you are still having issues, can you PM and working objects.cache and the non-working one? If they are too large, I can PM you my email address.

After you PM, please update the thread. That's the only way for the thread to pop back up on our support dashboard.
vext

Post by vext »

Just to close the loop, that was indeed the case.
Disabling enable_environment_macros worked to resolve the failing checks. And it looks like we have no checks that were relying on environment variables (which was as I expected).
dwhitfield
Former Nagios Staff

Post by dwhitfield »

Thanks for the update. Are we ready to lock this thread?