rrd files not created

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
xlin125

rrd files not created

Post by xlin125 »

We have a number of Nagios XI 5.2.3 on Redhat 6.9. There is one Nagios XI server that does not create rrd files for all the services for the managed hosts in /usr/local/nagios/share/perfdata. All other Nagios XI servers do not have such a problem. What possible reasons that caused this problem (rrd files not created)? Any suggestions/recommendations to best troubleshoot this rrd file issue? Thanks in advance
mcapra

Re: rrd files not created

Post by mcapra »

For RRDs not being generated, this KB article is usually a good place to start:
https://support.nagios.com/kb/article.php?id=9

That problem is generally caused by one of 3 things:
  • Nagios Core doesn't write its perfdata file (this is uncommon)
  • The NPCD daemon has died (service npcd restart can sometimes fix this)
  • The nagios user account has expired
Following that KB article's steps for increasing logging verbosity is a good way to start troubleshooting this. Sometimes the system is just overloaded or incorrectly "tuned", which is very solvable.
Former Nagios employee
https://www.mcapra.com/
lmiltchev
Former Nagios Staff

Post by lmiltchev »

Not all of the checks return perfdata. Can you show us the actual check, run from the command line on the Nagios XI server, along with the output of it? We need to see if the plugin that you are using returns perfdata (an output after the pipe "|").

Also, from the Nagios XI web interface, go to Home > Service Detail, click on your service, then go to the "Advanced" tab, and show a screenshot of this page. We would like to see how the perfdata (if any) is formatted.

Note: You have a duplicate post on the same issue here: https://support.nagios.com/forum/viewto ... 53#p245353. I will be locking it. We will continue our discussion here. It would be easier to follow up on the issue in one place.
Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!
xlin125

Post by xlin125 »

On this Nagios XI server:
- It is just missing the rrd files, and all the xml files are created for each host under perfdata directory.
- npcd has been running
- The nagios user account is active

I read the article https://support.nagios.com/kb/article.php?id=9. I noticed that /usr/local/nagios/var/perfdata.log does not exist on this Nagios XI server.
npolovenko
Support Tech

Post by npolovenko »

@xlin125, Could you send in your Nagios XI System Profile so I can review it?
To send us your system profile. Login to the Nagios XI GUI using a web browser.
Click the "Admin" > "System Profile" Menu
Click the "Download Profile" button
Save the profile.zip file, upload it to a cloud storage of your choice and share a link with me in a PM.
After that please post something in this thread to bring it back up in the support queue.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
xlin125

Post by xlin125 »

@npolovenko:

When I tried to download the profile, it failed with the message "PROFILE BUILD FAILED". So I went to the "Show Profile", and copied the contents into a text file for you to review. Please see the upload file. Note that I removed the IP address this Nagios XI server is assigned to, and also removed the Network Settings section. I believe these information is not needed for troubleshooting. Thanks for the help and support!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
npolovenko
Support Tech

Post by npolovenko »

@xlin125, Please follow this article to troubleshoot a Profile build error. A regular profile should generate a zip file with all the important logs that we need to take a look at: https://support.nagios.com/kb/article.p ... ategory=44
But If this tutorial doesn't work I'll let you know which individual log files to upload.

Also, in the profile.txt i noticed this:
nagios (pid 38960 38955 38954 38953 38952 38951 38950 38949 38948 38947 38946 38945 38944 38942) is running...
This looks like a lof of duplicate nagios processes. Please run the following commands in order:

Code: Select all

service nagios stop	
killall -9 nagios	
service nagios start
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
xlin125

Post by xlin125 »

@npolovenko:
I ran the following commands you provided, but I still do not see the rrd files got created. Just the corresponding xml files got created on the Nagios XI server:
service nagios stop
killall -9 nagios
service nagios start

Any advise?
npolovenko
Support Tech

Post by npolovenko »

@xlin125, Did you succeed in generating a zipped profile after reading the troubleshooting article I gave you?
xlin125

Post by xlin125 »

@lmiltchev:
As per you suggestion, I ran the actual command for the service check on the Nagios XI server and showed the output for the service check on the Nagios XI Web Interface. I added these information and Nagios XI Web Interface screen shot, as well as the files that are created for this host under the perfdata directory. Only xml files are created, still no rrd files. Please see the attachment for details. Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.