SNMP walk / MIBs

This board serves as an open discussion and support collaboration point for Nagios XI. NOTE: Nagios XI customers should use the Customer Support forum to obtain expedited support.

SNMP walk / MIBs

Postby airforcemiller » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:08 pm

When I try to do an snmp walk in nagios, the only info I get is the interface name and link state, and the description I entered, plus throughput. It seems that all of the info from the snmp walk is coming from 1 maybe 2 MIBs that seem to be on nagios already. I started reading the nagios documention about the snmp walk and MIBs. Am I correct in saying that for nagios to show the other info ie chassis temp, fans, power, cpu that I need to load the Cisco MIBs that I got for my specific ios / switch. I downloaded all the v1 and v2 MIBs, but they are not in a txt format like the ones in nagios already. They are in .cd, .my and I forget the other extension. If I do need to import these for the snmp walk to get the info I want in the walk, which extension do I need to upload? Pardon my questions, as I am new to snmp / oid / MIBs. I am trying to understand it as fast as I can.

Thanks
airforcemiller

Re: SNMP walk / MIBs

Postby scottwilkerson » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:18 am

If you are using the SNMP Walk Wizard, you likely want to change the OID: to be either . or the start of the OID you want to walk.

By default the walk starts at mib-2.interfaces and only shows the items under there.

You can monitor ANY SNMP OID that is available on your equipment with Nagios
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Postby airforcemiller » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:42 am

Which MIBs file extensions should I load so Nagios can read the Cisco info when I walk my switch? .cd / .my and I can’t remember the other. I found where to upload them or Linux wise to copy them. Thanks for explaining how it does the walk
airforcemiller

Postby scottwilkerson » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:54 am

You can add MIBs through the UI under Admin -> Manage MIBs
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Postby airforcemiller » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:13 pm

scottwilkerson wrote:You can add MIBs through the UI under Admin -> Manage MIBs

Hey Scott, do they need to be txt files or can they stay in the .cd and .my files. I see the ones nagios has preloaded are txt files
airforcemiller

Postby scottwilkerson » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:15 pm

airforcemiller wrote:

Hey Scott, do they need to be txt files or can they stay in the .cd and .my files. I see the ones nagios has preloaded are txt files

The file extension doesn't matter.
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Postby airforcemiller » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:38 pm

scottwilkerson wrote:
airforcemiller wrote:

The file extension doesn't matter.

Thanks
airforcemiller

Postby scottwilkerson » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:10 pm

airforcemiller wrote:
Thanks

CLosing
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Return to Nagios XI