Nagios Core

An open discussion forum for obtaining help with Nagios Core. Nagios Core users of all experience levels are welcome here. Subforum have been created for the discussion of Nagios Core and Nagios Plugin development.

NOTE: The SourceForge.net mailing lists have been deprecated in favor of this forum in order to expedite support and provide additional features not available on the old mailing list.

Nagios Core

Postby bshiers » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:24 am

I'm upgrading Nagios for a client from Version 1.2 up to Nagios Core 4.3.4 . I have everything working but the notifications properly. I'm not getting any INFO or the Date/Time in my notifications.

Here's what an old notification from the old system looks like:
Code: Select all
** Nagios Riverton **
Notification Type: PROBLEM
Host: Site
Name: Site2
State: DOWN
Address: x.x.x.x
Info: PING CRITICAL - Packet loss = 100%
Date/Time: Fri Aug 10 06:29:08 MDT 2018

Here’s what I’m getting from the new system (different host):
** Nagios Riverton **
Notification Type: PROBLEM
Host: Site2
Name: Site3
State: DOWN
Address: y.y.y.y
Info: $
Date/Time: $

As you can see I'm not getting anything for Info and Date/Time.

Here is my notification command config:
# 'notify-host-by-email' command definition
define command{
   command_name   notify-host-by-email
   command_line   /usr/bin/printf "%b" "***** Nagios *****\n\nNotification Type: $NOTIFICATIONTYPE$\nHost: $HOSTNAME$\nState: $HOSTSTATE$\nAddress: $HOSTADDRESS$\nInfo: $LO
NGHOSTOUTPUT$\n\nDate/Time: $LONGDATETIME$\n" | /usr/bin/mail -s "** $NOTIFICATIONTYPE$ Host Alert: $HOSTNAME$ is $HOSTSTATE$ **" $CONTACTEMAIL$
   }

# 'notify-service-by-email' command definition
define command{
   command_name   notify-service-by-email
   cmmand_line   /usr/bin/printf "%b" "***** Nagios *****\n\nNotification Type: $NOTIFICATIONTYPE$\n\nService: $SERVICEDESC$\nHost: $HOSTALIAS$\nAddress: $HOSTADDRESS$\nSt
ate: $SERVICESTATE$\n\nDate/Time: $LONGDATETIME$\n\nAdditional Info:\n\n$LONGSERVICEOUTPUT$\n" | /usr/bin/mail -s "** $NOTIFICATIONTYPE$ Service Alert: $HOSTALIAS$/$SERVICEDESC$
is $SERVICESTATE$ **" $CONTACTEMAIL$
   }

I think I'm missing something very simple but I can't find it. Anything thoughts?
bshiers

Re: Nagios Core

Postby npolovenko » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:36 pm

Hello, @bshiers. I don't think your hosts/services are using the commands you included. The very first line in the notification message says:
** Nagios Riverton **

But according to the commands, it should be:
***** Nagios *****

Can you take a look at the contacts.cfg file and make sure that contacts are using the correct notification command?
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
npolovenko
Support Tech

Postby bshiers » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:52 pm

I did find a command that referenced the Nagios Riverton in

/var/objects.precache, but that's the only spot.

I've removed the cache and retention files and that's the only place it keeps coming back. Where next as I'm sure that's my issue. The contacts were not using the right notification but it's like the one from the old server is getting cached somewhere.
bshiers

Postby scottwilkerson » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:18 pm

you could have muliple parent processes
ps -ef|grep nagios.cfg

If there are multiple parents run the following:
service nagios stop
killall -9 nagios
service nagios start
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Postby bshiers » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:01 pm

I think I found the issue. The old config was using the miscommands.cfg file and not commands.cfg. I'm doing some testing now but I believe I have this fixed up.
bshiers

Postby bshiers » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:22 pm

Issue is fixed. Thanks all for your help. Overlooked this for awhile.
bshiers

Postby scottwilkerson » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:12 am

bshiers wrote:Issue is fixed. Thanks all for your help. Overlooked this for awhile.

Great Locking
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Return to Nagios Core