Monitoring Wizard Error Running Windows Server

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
tmoriarity

Monitoring Wizard Error Running Windows Server

Post by tmoriarity »

Hello,

I just completed a fresh install of Nagios XI. Everything went very smooth until I attempted to add my first host using the monitoring wizard.

I am using the windows server option. I continue through the config screens(taking defaults) and when it goes to save the config I get an error.
Error: Template 'xiwizard_windowsserver_host' specified in host definition could not be not found (config file '/usr/local/nagios/etc/hosts/isonoe.emh.org.cfg', starting on line 14)
I did notice that the xiwizard_windowsserver_host template was disabled on the fresh install. I tried to re-enable it. Still the config fails to load.

I am new to Nagios and Nagios XI. If more logging is needed please let me know.

Thank You.
dlevine

Re: Monitoring Wizard Error Running Windows Server

Post by dlevine »

Ah - yeah - I have the exact same problem too... I was able to get a Windows host setup in XI using the Windows Desktop wizard instead of the Server wizard though. However, the Server wizard looks nice as it provides space for you to setup server services and other stuff to monitor right off the bat - the Desktop wizard does not. I have not gone into the Nagios Core Config as of yet to try and get more specific services to be monitored, but I would imagine that this is what I will have to do until the server wizard thing is resolved...

Would be great to get this going though as I will be trying to "sell" this to my boss over some other commercial offerings...

D
tkeface

Post by tkeface »

I had the same issue. To workaround it, I had to delete the services for the windows host that i created, then delete the host. Once the Windows host (I only had one setup) was gone, I went through and enabled the disabled service and host templates, and then recreated the host.

I also had issues when I created the server and didn't setup a password for the NSClient on the host. Any service check that used 'check_nt' would fail reporting that check_nt could not parse the command. Adding a password to NSClient and the service checks resolved the issue.
dlevine

Post by dlevine »

Huh... Yeah I did the same thing to clean up - deleted the services and then the host from the config. You are saying that you then went in and enabled all the templates and then the stepping through the Server monitoring wizard was successful?
tmoriarity

Post by tmoriarity »

I tried deleting the services and then the server. After that enabled the disabled template... Still no luck. I really wanted this to work too as I was working on an RFP and wanted to include Nagios. I am a little hesitant now that a very straight forward wizard like this does not work as it should pre-configured on a VM.. even with my softspot for things built upon open source.

Another issue I noticed was when I installed the NSClient on a windows 2003 server the tray icon crashed. I tested the install out on 3 different boxes.

I am going another round.. with a larger infrastructure I may have to stick to looking at HP, BMC, and MS.
mmestnik

Post by mmestnik »

I'd like to review the problem from a fresh start. What is the current status of this issue?