check_snmp_synology - General Linux Plugin?

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
chris1337c

check_snmp_synology - General Linux Plugin?

Post by chris1337c »

I have tried the check_snmp_synology plugin extensively, disabling different aspects of it, it continuously times out (after 180s). I thought I had found the issue with the NIC bonding on the box itself but it started timing out again. I have updated the owner of this plugin and see I am not alone.

My question is, can anyone recommend a general linux plugin that can be used to effectively monitor network connectivity and general health of the box? Or does it have to be specific to manufacturer?

Is there a template I could use to plugin specific MiB's to just make one with the features I need?

Open to any and all suggestions, of our 50+ hosts Nagios functions 100%, except for this synology box.
steffi

Re: check_snmp_synology - General Linux Plugin?

Post by steffi »

I do synology monitoring using its own monitoring (health check).

In addition you could - depending on the services you have enabled for it - check if it is responding on the service specific ports. I.E. Port 111 (TCP and UDP) and 2049 (TCP and UDP) for the NFS server.

If you mount if somewhere you could check for existence of the mount point using /proc/mount in a script if you are on linux. And using check_disk plugin you could monitor its available disk size by using specific filter/s if it is mounted, see https://www.monitoring-plugins.org/doc/ ... _disk.html
npolovenko
Support Tech

Post by npolovenko »

Hello, @chris1337c. We do have the check_snmp plugin that allows you to pull info on a custom OID. It is not limited to the manufacturer.
https://nagios-plugins.org/doc/man/check_snmp.html

The problem with the generic check_snmp plugin is that sometimes it returns non-formatted data that is hard to understand. Custom plugins on the exchange, on the other hand, were designed to convert that data into a human-readable format. That's why I suggest looking for an alternative plugin on the exchange first and if nothing works then use the generic one.
https://exchange.nagios.org/index.php?o ... d=synology
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
steffi

Post by steffi »

Hi.
It seems to me like there is a patch available for the plugin. See William Yangs post from january, 30th.
steffi

Post by steffi »

Hi.
I applied the patch and it is working as expected.
Steffi
npolovenko
Support Tech

Post by npolovenko »

@steffi, Thanks for your help with this!
@chris1337c, Let us know how it goes.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.