Nagios Active-Active setup !!!

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
rajsshah

Nagios Active-Active setup !!!

Post by rajsshah »

Hi Team
I have 2 queries regarding nagios high availability . The document that has been shared in nagios to make it high available talks about the ACTIVE-PASSIVE setup of nagios .

1. Is it possible to setup nagios in ACTIVE-ACTIVE ?? Using the NFS mount point ( shared across 2 servers ) for nagios installation ( /usr/local/nag* )
I have doubt with this because at any given point of time both nagios instance will try to write in the same location .

2. For making MYsql high available , can I use percona xtradb ??? it makes mariadb active-active . Does that make sense ??
npolovenko
Support Tech

Re: Nagios Active-Active setup !!!

Post by npolovenko »

Hello, @rajsshah. I'd not recommend sharing the /usr/local/nagios folder for the reason you described. Also, if one XI crashes, the configuration files in the nagios folder will likely be affected and both XI servers will become nonfunctional.
XI hasn't been officially tested with clustered databases either. I've seen incidents where nagios process would crash during the replication. I'm not sure what type of clustering solution was used in each case.
Most often users prefer to use the backup and restore procedure to keep a clone of a production XI. You can keep XI backups on a network shared drive and that way both XI will have access to it. The rest can be automated with an easy shell script that is running on a daily cron.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.