nagios "Email Settings" are beig gignored

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
gornm565

nagios "Email Settings" are beig gignored

Post by gornm565 »

I see alerts coming out of our nagios server but instead of using the address that I put into the field "Send From:" in the "Email Settings" it's using nagios@usnagiosxi01.localdomain. It's also not going to the host listed under the SMTP settings and it's going to the one in the MX records instead. Any idea why that's happening?
benjaminsmith

Re: nagios "Email Settings" are beig gignored

Post by benjaminsmith »

Hello @gornm565,

It's not uncommon for values to be auto-completed by the browser with the wrong credentials. Please clear all the fields in the form in Email Settings, enter the values and select Update Settings.

After testing, if it's still not working, select Send A Test Email from the Email Settings page. Do you receive it and is it coming from the correct address? If not, please send over your system profile so we can take a closer look at the server.

To send us your system profile.
Login to the Nagios XI GUI using a web browser.
Click the "Admin" > "System Profile" Menu
Click the "Download Profile" button
Save the profile.zip file and share in a private message and then reply to this post to bring it up in the queue.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.

Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!
gornm565

Post by gornm565 »

I sent you the profile. The setting is correct and some emails are sent properly but some are not.
benjaminsmith wrote:Hello @gornm565,

It's not uncommon for values to be auto-completed by the browser with the wrong credentials. Please clear all the fields in the form in Email Settings, enter the values and select Update Settings.

After testing, if it's still not working, select Send A Test Email from the Email Settings page. Do you receive it and is it coming from the correct address? If not, please send over your system profile so we can take a closer look at the server.

To send us your system profile.
Login to the Nagios XI GUI using a web browser.
Click the "Admin" > "System Profile" Menu
Click the "Download Profile" button
Save the profile.zip file and share in a private message and then reply to this post to bring it up in the queue.
gornm565

Post by gornm565 »

I see that the phpmailer.log is referring to the wrong smtp host. Where do I correct that?
benjaminsmith

Post by benjaminsmith »

Hi,
I see that the phpmailer.log is referring to the wrong smtp host. Where do I correct that?
Did you update the settings in Admin > System Config > Email Settings as mentioned?
host-settings.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.

gornm565

Post by gornm565 »

Yes, everything is correct there. And I am receiving the test email just fine from the correct address. And most alerts are being received just fine. But then a bunch of email alerts are going to the server in the MX record instead and the "From:" address for those is
nagios@usnagiosxi01.localdomain (the hostname of the Nagios box is usnagiosxi01). I am not sure why some are emails are honoring the email settings and some are not.
benjaminsmith

Post by benjaminsmith »

Hi,

This is the error in the phpmailer log. Is the Send From email the same as the username for authentication?
SMTP Error: Data not accepted.<p>SMTP server error: </p>
Also, there are entries for crashed tables in the database, login as root and run the following command to fix:

Code: Select all

/usr/local/nagiosxi/scripts/repair_databases.sh

gornm565

Post by gornm565 »

I ran the command as root and repaired a bunch of indexes. Do you need me to upload the profile again?

We don't use authentication - it should accept all connections and the test email works.
benjaminsmith

Post by benjaminsmith »

Hello,

Please turn on the Logging for phpmailer by going to Admin > System Config > Email Settings, and then send over a new profile once the server has attempted to send a few new notifications. You can also force notifications by submitting passive checks to a host or service to put it in a HARD non-OK state. To do to this go to Home > Host Status > and select a host and then go to the Advanced Tab and select Submit passive check result.

I also noticed in a discrepancy in the log file as the host in the error message does not match the host in the SMTP settings. I will PM the results to you to avoid exposing any sensitive information.

Also, this error message is associated with SMTP server spam settings, can you check the logs on the SMTP server as well? Thanks.

gornm565

Post by gornm565 »

Looks like certain specific services always send notifications correctly and certain other services always send them incorrectly.