Nagios NA Source No Data

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios Network Analyzer, our network traffic and bandwidth analysis solution.
patrickb

Nagios NA Source No Data

Post by patrickb »

We are testing to see if Nagios is a worthwhile investment for network monitoring.

I have installed the virtual machine as instructed and added the netflow config to the Cisco 9300 core switches.

I then went on to the NA and added the switch as a source.

I have waited for a day now and it keeps saying No Data Available.

I can ping the NA from the switch on all VLAN's and i can ping the switch from the host machine.

I'm not sure how to test that the NA server is working if the switch is sending data, do you have any diagnostic tools to help me find the problem?

Patrick
tgriep
Madmin

Re: Nagios NA Source No Data

Post by tgriep »

To verify that the Cisco Device is sending the Flow data to the Network Analyzer server, you can install tcpdump to capture the data

You may need to install tcpdump on the Nagios server to capture the data.

To install tcpdump,run the following as root.

Code: Select all

yum install tcpdump -y
Then, to capture the data, run the following as root (Replace xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx with the IP address of the Cisco device)

Code: Select all

tcpdump -i any -s 0 -w nna.cap host xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
Let it run for 10 minutes or more and then stop the tcpdump application.

Then, you can transfer the nna.cap file to your desktop and use an application like wireshark to decode the data.
Or out can post the file here and we can take a look at it for you.

Also, if you can post the settings from the Cisco device, we can see if they look OK.

The biggest thing I have found is that the time for NNA server or the device is not set correctly and that would cause the flow data to not be captured so make sure the time is set.

And the following link are more troubleshooting tips you can try.
https://support.nagios.com/kb/category.php?id=43
Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!