bits/sec not aligning with bytes

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios Network Analyzer, our network traffic and bandwidth analysis solution.
jm_mcg

bits/sec not aligning with bytes

Post by jm_mcg »

I am looking at the summary view on a datasource from our ASR9K router. The bytes view for a given point in time shows 1.4 gigabytes which, when translated to bits, lines up pretty well with what the Cacti instance we have shows for the same period. When I switch to Bits/sec, it shows about 31 M bits/sec for the same period. That doesn't quite make sense to me. Am I misunderstanding this view?
tgriep
Madmin

Re: bits/sec not aligning with bytes

Post by tgriep »

The Bytes in the graph for a given point in time is showing the amounts of Bytes that was transferred for a 5 minute period for your flow monitor and the Bits/sec are showing the average Bits per second for the same time frame.

If you convert the 1.4 GigBytes for 5 minutes to Bits/sec, you will see that it is 37 Meg Bits/sec which is pretty close to what you are seeing in the graph.
I expect the difference to be rounding issues but it is close to 31 MBits/sec.
Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!
jm_mcg

Post by jm_mcg »

That makes sense. Unfortunately, the data now doesn't.

We have flow monitoring added to the two interfaces for our DIAs. Just one of the DIAs is currently running at 3.35 Gbps according to Nagios XI. Both together would be close to 8 Gbps. Network Analyzer reports 35,000,000 bps, or 35Mbps. Any thoughts on what me happening in this case?
tgriep
Madmin

Post by tgriep »

You cannot compare the data between XI and the NNA server as they are measuring different things.

Bandwidth data in XI is measuring Bits on a wire which includes the Packet Header information, Ack packets, Fin packets, etc.

The Flow data does not include all of that, it is monitoring just the IP data that is in the packets and does not include Packet Header information, Ack packets, Fin packets, etc. just IP data only.

Plus, make sure you are running the latest version of Network Analyzer as there were some changes done that could effect the Bytes data.
- Updated nfdump to patched version that fixes total bytes amount given [TPS#15440] -JO
jm_mcg

Post by jm_mcg »

That makes sense. My apologies for not doing more reading on flows.

Is there anyway to insert commas into the bit/second? The numbers are always going to be very big and reading them without some delimiter is difficult.
tgriep
Madmin

Post by tgriep »

There is not a way to enable delimiters in the Bits/Sec output but I can Submit a Feature request for it.

Please keep in mind that the decision to implement the enhancement is at the sole discretion of our development team.