Object dependency cleaning

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
gomatze

Object dependency cleaning

Post by gomatze »

Hello Team,

I have been separating monitoring of production and integration to different monitoring servers (Nagiosxi)
Actually I'm deleting all integration configurations from nagiosxi-prd. I get stuck every few meters for unresolvable configurations.
Is it possible for futur releases to get a deleting wizard that helps to delete objects by resolving and unlinking dependencies?

Actually I pretty much fed up with the situation that I have to look into all service definitions for connections to hosts and Hostgroups that I need to delete from the productive system.

Since all configuration is an a db you could link the deletion of a host or hostgroup to a clean up process removing all definitions related to the deleted host.
HOMO SUM HUMANI NIHIL A ME ALIENUM PUTO
gsmith

Re: Object dependency cleaning

Post by gsmith »

Hi,

Please try the following:
Configure -> CCM
Image1.jpg
Select the blue box marked Hosts.
From the resulting list of hosts, hit the red "X" under the Actions column

Please let me know what the results are.

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gomatze

Post by gomatze »

Hello gsmith,

I can delete the Host alright. But then when I try to restart Nagios (aka Apply configuration) it fails because the Host(s) that where deleted where still assigned to smth or a Service I run is still assigned to the deleted Host. The same goes for Hosrtgroups. I have deleted a bunch of Hostgroups for they where not longer used and could not apply the configuration for the hostgroups I deleted where still connected to some service. That means that the assignement between service and HG was untouched whilst I deleted the HG.
I think that when I delete a HG, there should be a subroutine that deletes all the configurations that are in the DB concerning the HG... for these are not longer valid.

I have by now removed what I wanted to delete bit by bit from each and every configuration by hand.
But still I think a solution like NagiosXI should be able to resolve delinquent relations in a DB to spare the customer that handish task.
gsmith

Post by gsmith »

Hi,

Thanks for the product suggestion. I’ve submitted a feature request on your
behalf. Please keep in mind that the decision to implement the enhancement is at
the discretion of our development team.

Thanks
gomatze

Post by gomatze »

Again today, trying to delete users from the integration system. I cannot delete Users because they are in Contact Groups... well then delete them from the groups. I have to delete 25 Users now and I will have to painstakingly search and remove all their etanglement in the configuration by hand! This is a thing that I expect a software solution to do for me...
Sorry for ranting, but I am a bit disappointed right now.

How about adding a deletion wizard to the ccm that helps to find, resolv and delete all the dependencies and entanglements. Or at least offers the user a list with checknboxes to decide what to delete or whatever...

Thank you. Please lock it...
gsmith

Post by gsmith »

moderator - please lock

thanks