Alert based on FileAge

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
apteancloud

Alert based on FileAge

Post by apteancloud »

Hello,

We have a use case as in when a directory has a file more than an hour old, it should be treated as CRITICAL and alert. If there is no file present or if the file is present but is written less than an hour, its OK and no alerting is needed.
I have referenced to https://support.nagios.com/kb/article.p ... file_count and set my check, but not getting desired output:

Code: Select all

[nagios@NagiosXIAzDev ~]$ /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H 10.179.8.132 -c check_files -2 -a max-depth=0 path='//MyNetworkPath' pattern=*.* 'filter= written lt -1h' 'crit= count gt 0' 'empty-state=ok' 'empty-syntax=${status}: No files found' 'top-syntax=${status}: ${count} files found'
OK: No files found|'count'=0;0;0
I have put two files there where one is set as written today and the other file's lastwritten and creation attribute is changed to 2017
Server.JPG
What am I doing wrong? I was expecting the output will say 1 file found for the 2017 dated file.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gsmith

Re: Alert based on FileAge

Post by gsmith »

Hi

What do you get when you run:

/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H 10.179.8.132 -c check_files -a path='//MyNetworkPath'
Thanks
apteancloud

Post by apteancloud »

This is the output:
Capture.JPG
As you can see there are two issues:
1. It does a recursive search of folders which I dont want.
2. Even though I have a file dated 2017, it still says OK.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ssax
Dreams In Code

Post by ssax »

Try this:
- Change X.X.X.X and YOURPATH
- Apparently max-depth needs to be 1

/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H X.X.X.X -2 -c check_files -a max-depth=1 path='YOURPATH' pattern=*.* 'filter= written < -1h' 'crit= count > 0' 'empty-state=ok' 'empty-syntax=${status}: No files found' 'top-syntax=${status}: ${count} files found'
apteancloud

Post by apteancloud »

This still looks at the sub-folders in that directory which I am not concerned about.

[nagios@NagiosXIAzDev ~]$ /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H 10.179.8.132 -c check_files -2 -a max-depth=1 path='//MyNetworkPath/' pattern=*.* 'filter= written lt -1h' 'crit= count gt 0' 'empty-state=ok' 'empty-syntax=${status}: No files found' 'top-syntax=${status}: ${count} files found'
CRITICAL: 4 files found|'count'=4;0;0
The Folder structure is:
Capture.JPG
I expected the output to say 2 files found which are older than 1 hour and not adding the two directories as well.
Considering I put a fresh file just before running the query, so that means the file is written less than an hour. But the remaining two files are older and should be reported as Critical.
benjaminsmith

Post by benjaminsmith »

Hi,

Looking this over, one option would be to use a pattern to search on the filenames (so the directories are not counted). Do these files have a coming name syntax (eg. test*.txt)?

Reference:
https://docs.nsclient.org/reference/win ... heck_files
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.

Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!