Notification Timing

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
kgugerty

Notification Timing

Post by kgugerty »

Hello,

I am a bit confused by the notification timing.
I've read in documentation articles that Service Check Intervals need to be equal to or greater than the Notification Intervals.

I have a service with a Check interval of 7 minutes and a notification interval of 7 minutes. When I set the condition to trigger the alert, Nagios sends alerts every 21 or 22 minutes.

Is there another location that I need to be looking at?
vtrac

Re: Notification Timing

Post by vtrac »

Hi,
How are you doing?

Here's an example of notification settings:
F1.png
Based on the picture "F1", the "Check Interval" is every "5" minutes.
Once issue is identified, Nagios XI will check every "1" minute (Retry interval) for up to "5" times (Max check attempts) before sending out notification.

So, based on the above settings, notification will be sent out after "5" check attempts of every "1" minute = "5" minutes.

We have some customers that want to sent out notification after "15" minutes once issue has been identified, so they would set:
Check interval = 5
Retry interval = 3
Max check attemps = 5

Notification Interval:
F2.png
As to "Notification Interval", it is used to define the number of "time units" (usually 60 minutes) to wait before re-notifying again that this service is still in a non-OK state.

Hope this helps!!

Best Regards,
Vinh
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.