Mail not being received by contacts

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
Dusan.Mandic

Mail not being received by contacts

Post by Dusan.Mandic »

Hello all, we are having a mailing issue similar to my past post.

Notifications in the UI say the user is receiving mail from NagiosXI. I have checked the configurations to make doubly sure everything is enabled correctly.

/var/log/maillog /usr/local/nagiosxi/tmp/phpmailer.log /usr/local/nagiosxi/var/eventman.log both state emails are going out, no errors

Attached is system profile

Best,

Dusan

Moderator's Note: The profile has been shared with the support team but has been removed from the public forum.
kfanselow

Re: Mail not being received by contacts

Post by kfanselow »

Hi Dusan.Mandic,

It appears that the issue you are encountering is related to changes in the Office 365 environment and the version of PHP currently in use on your system. Apparently Microsoft is disabling the use of TLS 1.0 and 1.1 (Began on October 15th) and php versions prior to 5.6 do not support TLS 1.2 and 1.3.

From Microsoft:
"For our commercial customers of Office 365, deprecation of TLS 1.0 and 1.1 will begin October 15, 2020 and rollout will continue over the following weeks and months."
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/micros ... -worldwide

Unfortunately you will have to contact Red Hat to figure out if and/or how you should upgrade to PHP 5.6.x or higher. If there isn't an official path to higher versions of PHP we do have instructions on upgrading to PHP 7.x.x in CentOS that might be adaptable.

https://support.nagios.com/kb/article/n ... 7-860.html

As always, we encourage you to go through this process with Test servers first. You should create an environment that reflects your production environment as closely as is practical and test the upgrade there prior to updating your productions system. This is specifically allowed for by our licensing agreement:

Nagios XI License Policy
With every purchase we offer 3 separate activation of XI licenses. One for production, one for testing, and one for high availability. We always recommend upgrading on a test server first before making changes to the production server.
`Nagios License Entitlements
https://support.nagios.com/kb/article.php?id=145

Thanks and Best Regards,
Keith
Dusan.Mandic

Post by Dusan.Mandic »

I attempted tp turn on more verbose logging, but I am getting a remnant. This user is not defined anywhere, but getting an error when attempting to write to config files

Error: Contact 'bbutler' is not defined anywhere!
Error: Could not add contact 'bbutler' to host (config file '/usr/local/nagios/etc/hosts/Bitbucket-Server.cfg', starting on line 16)

Nagios Core 4.4.6
Copyright (c) 2009-present Nagios Core Development Team and Community Contributors
Copyright (c) 1999-2009 Ethan Galstad
Last Modified: 2020-04-28
License: GPL

Reading configuration data...
Read main config file okay...
WARNING: The normal_check_interval attribute is deprecated and will be removed in future versions. Please use check_interval instead.
WARNING: The retry_check_interval attribute is deprecated and will be removed in future versions. Please use retry_interval instead.
Error: Contact 'bbutler' is not defined anywhere!
Error: Could not add contact 'bbutler' to host (config file '/usr/local/nagios/etc/hosts/Bitbucket-Server.cfg', starting on line 16)
Error processing object config files!

***> One or more problems was encountered while processing the config files...

Check your configuration file(s) to ensure that they contain valid
directives and data definitions. If you are upgrading from a previous
version of Nagios, you should be aware that some variables/definitions
may have been removed or modified in this version. Make sure to read
the HTML documentation regarding the config files, as well as the
'Whats New' section to find out what has changed.

EDIT: RESOLVED
Last edited by Dusan.Mandic on Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dusan.Mandic

Post by Dusan.Mandic »

Also, I am receiving notification emails on the same domain. Why would this one contact not receive them but I would?

EDIT: everyone else is receiving notifications other than the contact in question (tyler.gish)
kfanselow

Post by kfanselow »

Hi Dusan,

We're glad to hear you were able to resolve the problem for your user. The TLS/PHP version problem identified in the previous post has manifest itself for a number of our customers recently and the patterning is the same; seemingly intermittent and progressive delivery failures with no material changes to the environment. As is noted in the Microsoft article they are (wisely) rolling this change out over weeks to months so you might want to keep an eye out for it in the future.

Thanks and Best Regards,
Keith
Dusan.Mandic

Post by Dusan.Mandic »

The contact in question (tyler.gish) is still not receiving emails. I would assume that since the intermittent delivery failures occur randomly, they would be spread throughout our userbase. This is not the case in our environment. Would you be able to escalate this post to a senior support analyst for review? I reviewed the proposed workaround with my senior architect and we came to an agreement our specific case is probably not due to the aforementioned. In the past, a similar solution was proposed and the issue was actually the XI interface grabbing the autofill un/pw from the browser and applying it to the smtp settings. I would definitely want to exhaust all possibilities, as our production environment has 1000 hosts and near 20k services and would be difficult to replicate in testing env

Best,

Dusan
cdienger
Support Tech

Post by cdienger »

I'd like to get a copy of the naigosxi database so we can review the settings. Run the following on the XI system's commandline:

Code: Select all

mysqldump -uroot -pnagiosxi nagiosxi > nagiosxi.sql
The nagiosxi.sql file that is created will have sensitive info so please send it to me in a private message.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
Dusan.Mandic

Post by Dusan.Mandic »

Hello,

I have uploaded the sql dump as indicated. I would still like to follow up with the inability to notify tyler.gish for SMTP notifications. Everyone else seems to be receiving them.
cdienger
Support Tech

Post by cdienger »

I didn't see any obvious problems in the database that was provided. Please open a ticket and we can take a closer look into this.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
Dusan.Mandic

Post by Dusan.Mandic »

You can close this. Resolved on our end