Deleting Files

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
Maxwellb99

Deleting Files

Post by Maxwellb99 »

Hi Nagios,

I have three questions for each directory (& the files therein). I need to clear out some space:

What do these files do? What will happen if I delete them? Can I delete these files without any detrimental consequences?

in /run/log/journal/<hash>/*.journal -- I have 4.1 GB of these Journal Files.
in /var/tmp/oradiag_nagios/diag/clients/user_nagios/host_*/trace the sqlnet.log file is 5GB

Is there a way to make my perfdata smaller?

Thanks,
Max R
pbroste

Re: Deleting Files

Post by pbroste »

Hello @Maxwellb99

Thanks for reaching out, about the file and log structure.

The '/var/journal/...' contains log pertaining to your system services. You can delete the contents, or logrotate, but will miss some service status info if important to you.

'/var/tmp' I stole from then interweb:
The /var/tmp directory is made available for programs that require temporary files or directories that are preserved between system reboots. Therefore, data stored in /var/tmp is more persistent than data in /tmp.

Files and directories located in /var/tmp must not be deleted when the system is booted. Although data stored in /var/tmp is typically deleted in a site-specific manner, it is recommended that deletions occur at a less frequent interval than /tmp.
The option to utilize Ramdisk or RRDcached for your Performance graphs may help, please review the links provided for further discription.

Thanks,
Perry