Restore Snapshot Metadata?

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios Log Server, our solution for managing and monitoring critical log data.
lazzarinof

Restore Snapshot Metadata?

Post by lazzarinof »

Good afternoon,

Is there some way to restore Snapshot metadata (the files in the repository location)? We still have the indices saved, but the web console is unable to see it without the metadata (and we are unable to view historical data!).
ssax
Dreams In Code

Re: Restore Snapshot Metadata?

Post by ssax »

So you have these files/dir:

Code: Select all

-rw-r--r-- 1 nagios users  45 Dec 17 08:59 index
drwxr-xr-x 4 nagios users  60 Dec 17 08:59 indices
-rw-r--r-- 1 nagios users 213 Dec 17 08:59 snapshot-curator-XXXXXXXXXXXX
But you're missing this one?

-rw-r--r-- 1 nagios users 519 Dec 17 08:59 metadata-curator-XXXXXXXXXXXX
When I lab that up they still show, it's only after removing this one that they don't show up for me:

-rw-r--r-- 1 nagios users 213 Dec 17 08:59 snapshot-curator-XXXXXXXXXXXX
I'm not finding any documentation on how to rebuild those curator files, this makes it sound like it's not possible:

https://discuss.elastic.co/t/curator-sn ... y/191371/2
lazzarinof

Post by lazzarinof »

Hello ssax,

Both the metadata and snapshot curator files are gone. It looks like the metadata is 9 lines, and the snapshot is 11 lines, while the bulk of the data is held in the indices directory (which is now, as you mentioned, not showing in the web UI).

Is this something that could potentially be fixed if I open a support case (as it is, hopefully, such a unique/non-standard issue)?

Thank you,
-Frank
ssax
Dreams In Code

Post by ssax »

Not likely, you're already working with support on it and I'm likely to get the ticket anyways (I take a lot of them), I've reached out to dev/QA to see if they have any ideas.

The problem is that those files are binary and contain the information about the snapshots/shards that are in the directory.

I tried to find a solution for you but I came up empty, I wasn't able to find a way to regenerate those files and those files are needed to list the snapshots in the indices in order to restore from them.
lazzarinof

Post by lazzarinof »

Good morning ssax,

Thank you for reaching out to dev/QA, I'm hopeful they'll have an solution.

Thank you again,
-Frank
ssax
Dreams In Code

Post by ssax »

I have reached out to them for an update on this and will let you know what they say.
ssax
Dreams In Code

Post by ssax »

Development said that they were unable to come up with a solution for this.

The only way that you can restore from the snapshots is if they are seen and that requires those files. Do you have any file-level backups like netbackup or anything that may contain them? Do you have storage snapshots or anything that would contain them?

If it's critical data you may need to reach out to a data recovery service, they may have alternative methods to help you get access to the data.