Freshness Checks Question

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
Alongaks

Freshness Checks Question

Post by Alongaks »

Hello,

If I have a custom 'host template' that is doing a 'check_ping' check command, and the 'check settings' are set for a 'check interval' of '1min', 'check freshness' toggled 'ON' with 'Freshness threshold' set to 30sec, will this cause the toggled 'check_ping' command to run every 30 seconds?

I also have in the host config the lines below, though it may likely be redundant if the host template is already doing it:
check_freshness 1
freshness_threshold 30

Hard to tell if it is actually doing the check from the UI as that seems to reflect the typical 60 second check interval.

Ultimately, I would like to ping a couple of machines at least every 30 seconds since they are VMs and sometimes VMs reboot quickly. The reboot can finish within the 60 second check interval.

Issue is these machines being 'pinged' serve up data that even a "quick" less than 60 second reboot/drop in connectivity can cause client machines to get upset. :-)
gormank

Re: Freshness Checks Question

Post by gormank »

It looks like freshness is related to passive checks. "Freshness checking is useful when you want to ensure that passive checks are being received as frequently as you want."
Ping is an active check.

https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... hness.html