service check timeout

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
petersonal

service check timeout

Post by petersonal »

Hi!
I search the forum and google yet did not find answer. We have a nagios core 4.4.7 running on ubuntu 18.04.6 LTS. using 2 vCPU 4 GB RAM (Standard A2 v2 on azure). We have ~800 hosts with ~ 7000 service checks. We do not have performance issues (also monitored ;) ). We have a new service check, which run approx. ~120 seconds. I can not change the code, it has long runtime.
The problem is we are getting "Service check timed out after 60.01 seconds". I know, the main config file (nagios.cfg) has a 60 sec timeout value. I wrote a custom command it's a check_nrpe_port command copy, with -t 200 parameter. I am using this, to call the script. The script is a powershell file, in a Windows server. I also modified the nsc.ini timeout values. Still getting check timeout. Is the global config is overwriting my command? Think so.
I tried to modify the global timeout to a higher value like 120. Almost immediately both CPU usage goes to 100% or near 100, and other check are running on timeout, so I wrote back to the original value.
Can't we have an exception to a service check timeout, other than the global config says?

If you need any more information please let me know.

Thanks
Peter