"Mountpoint" wizard

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
travisjburrell

"Mountpoint" wizard

Post by travisjburrell »

This wizard walks you through the steps to monitor a remote instance's mounts, but, unless I'm reading the check incorrectly, it's only designed for on-host nrpe checks. Walking through the wizard to setup a remote host for mount point monitoring fails every time.

Talking about this wizard:
Screenshot 2022-12-23 at 10.36.39 AM.png
If you go to the core config manager once you've completed the wizard, this is the check's configuration:
Screenshot 2022-12-23 at 10.38.22 AM.png
Reading the script's (/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_mountpoints.sh, version 1.21 in our installation) usage function, we can see that the -i says to ignore fstab, & -w runs a write test (why the options included twice is another question), however, there's nothing in the script (or the check's config) to designate a remote host, meaning, this check will only run on localhost (again, if I'm reading this correctly):

Code: Select all

function usage() {
        echo "Usage: $PROGNAME [-m FILE] \$mountpoint [\$mountpoint2 ...]"
        echo "Usage: $PROGNAME -h,--help"
        echo "Options:"
        echo " -m FILE     Use this mtab instead (default: ${MTAB})"
        echo " -f FILE     Use this fstab instead (default: ${FSTAB})"
        echo " -N NUMBER   FS Field number in fstab (default: ${FSF})"
        echo " -M NUMBER   Mount Field number in fstab (default: ${MF})"
        echo " -T SECONDS  Responsetime at which an NFS is declared as staled (default: ${TIME_TILL_STALE})"
        echo " -L          Allow softlinks to be accepted instead of mount points"
        echo " -i          Ignore fstab. Do not fail just because mount is not in fstab. (default: unset)"
        echo " -a          Autoselect mounts from fstab (default: unset)"
        echo " -A          Autoselect from fstab. Return OK if no mounts found. (default: unset)"
        echo " -w          Writetest. Touch file \$mountpoint/.mount_test_from_\$(hostname) (default: unset)"
        echo " MOUNTPOINTS list of mountpoints to check. Ignored when -a is given"
}
In fact, if you were to search for "nagios check_mountpoints.sh," you're brought to the script's Nagios Exchange listing, where the script's author specifically states that the script can't be used to check remote hosts - it has to be used with nrpe.

Running the script (obviously) fails with the given parameters, as it's running on localhost, which doesn't have any of the mounts in question. So (again, if I'm reading this right), either the wizard is misleading, or it's missing a parameter, or....?

Any help would be appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.