Nagios alerts configuration setup

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
chandrashekarhv

Nagios alerts configuration setup

Post by chandrashekarhv »

Hello
We have installed Nagios core engine 4.4.13 and plugins as well. We would like to proceed alerts configuration for environment. How can this be achieved.
Is there any configuration console, that can be installed to configured alerts or let us know the approach to address this concern.
chandrashekar :)
kg2857

Re: Nagios alerts configuration setup

Post by kg2857 »

Core is configured via config files you can define with a text editor.
The first thing to do is define a host. If I was doing it I'd add a template with a host check, but you can skip that for now. You need to define a host check such as check_ping or check_icmp to make the host turn green when it's reachable. Chances are, localhost or the nagios host was created when you installed nagios.
Next you can create a service to check something such as CPU on the host. Again, using a template is a good idea but not vital at this time. Chances are, some services were created when you installed nagios.

https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... n/toc.html
reichelmarcia

Post by reichelmarcia »

After that, you can set up a service to monitor the host machine's CPU usage, for example. Again, working off of a template is recommended but not required. After nagios was installed, it's likely that several services were initiated.
kg2857

Post by kg2857 »

Maybe I misunderstood the OP's question. Alerts are nothing more than a change of status returned by a check, or plugin. Nagios then displays a green, red, yellow or orange status. Notifications are emails or texts that let people what's going on.
There might be web based editors that can save info in a DB or write config files available to work with core to make things easier on nagios.exchange.org.