Is it safe to upgrade XI from 5.4 to 5.11 once? The oldest XI version supported on RHEL 8?

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
g-nagios-support

Is it safe to upgrade XI from 5.4 to 5.11 once? The oldest XI version supported on RHEL 8?

Post by g-nagios-support »

Hello there,

We are migrating current all XI instances (range from v5.4-5.7) to v5.11 while OS from RHEL 7 to 8. From Nagios documents, the approach is to install same XI version on new server and then upgrade to new version. But I can't install some XI versions on RHEL 8, looks these versions can only run on REHL7.

I found some scripts (we have Java, Python, and more) on RHEL 7 don't work on RHEL 8. I want to set up test migration server on RHEL 8 before migration, so I can work out and test new scripts with all new component versions. We have big number of monitoring and some are critical which we can't afford mess them up.

Is it safe to upgrade XI from 5.4 to 5.11 on RHEL 7 once? I couldn't find OS requirement for each XI version. https://support.nagios.com/kb/article.php?id=12 doesn't have details. Can anyone give me a hint what is oldest XI version can run on RHEL 8?

Any information is appreciated!
itunixops

Re: Is it safe to upgrade XI from 5.4 to 5.11 once? The oldest XI version supported on RHEL 8?

Post by itunixops »

You should be able to upgrade to 5.11 on rhel7. If you want to go to rhel8 you should migrate to 5.11 on rhel7 first. Then you can create a backup then export that backup to the new box. There are additional steps to do that but you should be able to so.

I would suggest however when you restore on the new box install php 8.0 or 8.1 from the remi-repo. PHP 7 is no longer supported and nagios has been slow to change its requirements to php 8.
g-nagios-support

Re: Is it safe to upgrade XI from 5.4 to 5.11 once? The oldest XI version supported on RHEL 8?

Thank you, itunixops!

Yes, that is the current plan. I am unsure if it is ok to upgrade v5.4 to v5.11 in one move. If it is not, I would like to upgrade Nagios XI to the middle version which can run on RHEL 8 first, migrate to REHL 8 box, and then upgrade to XI v5.11. We need to migrate multiple XI instances to RHEL 8 soon.

I will start on one XI, hope it is smooth.

Good to know php 7 needs to move to 8. Thanks again!
itunixops

Post by itunixops »

Glad to help out. Before you do your attempt please make sure to backup everything just in case you need to revert. Then perform the upgrade. Installing PHP 8 after you upgrade isn't hard but gotta watch out for little gotcha's. It can be done. We just finished migrating our systems to RHEL8 so we know it works.
g-nagios-support

Thanks again itunixops! I believe your information helps more guys are working on migration RedHat 7 to 8.
Feativill

Post by Feativill »

Upgrading Nagios XI from version 5.4 to 5.11 should generally be safe, as Nagios provides upgrade paths for their supported versions. However, it's always recommended to perform a thorough backup of your Nagios configuration and data before proceeding with any major upgrades.
sonic exe
RichardWilliam

Post by RichardWilliam »

To answer your question, it is generally safe to upgrade Nagios XI from version 5.4 to 5.11 on RHEL 7. However, I recommend reaching out to the Nagios support team for specific details about the oldest XI version that can run on RHEL 8omegle chat.