Nagios PHP End of Life

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
fsbeaunix

Nagios PHP End of Life

Post by fsbeaunix »

Nagios XI 5.11.1
Red Hat Enterprise Linux release 8.8
php-7.2.24-1

Our Security Team is flagging php-7.2 as End of Life (May 2021) and is requiring us to upgrade to PHP 8.x. This is actually coming down from Federal regulations, so we don't have much room for argumentation.

Does the Latest Nagios XI support later 8.x PHP?
swolf
Developer

Re: Nagios PHP End of Life

Post by swolf »

Hi @fsbeaunix,

We do support PHP 8.x, primarily on distributions where PHP 8 is the default version (for instance, CentOS Stream 9 or RHEL 9). You can read through this document for our recommendations on how to migrate between Linux distributions.

Otherwise, I know that we used to support upgrades to non-default PHP versions via the Remi repos (example). I don't see a process document like that for PHP 8, but I'll bring it up with the support team.

Hopefully that helps - let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

-Sebastian Wolf
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy
itunixops

Post by itunixops »

We just transitioned to PHP 8 on our rhel 8 box using remi and so far its been smooth sailing. The later XI upgrades wil take it immediately so its advisable to get that installed aqap. PHP 7.4 and lower are so out of date now they are no longer usable.
MonitorGuy

Post by MonitorGuy »

We are in the middle of migrating to RHEL 8 servers, and it was sad to see PHP 7.2 (known vulnerabilities) still bundled with Redhat OS bundle. After spending a fare amount of time manually upgrading to PHP 7.4.33 we now learn 7.4.x is being retired according to https://blog.remirepo.net/post/2022/11/ ... is-retired so we'll be migrating to PHP 8.0.30 soon...

PHP vulnerabilities for 8.0.x https://www.tenable.com/plugins/nessus/179364

After we upgraded PHP to 7.4 we starting seeing Nagios upgrade failures due to manually loaded PHP modules that were not found by the Nagios upgrade. I submitted a case, and Nagios support (from answerhub.nagios.com) recommended removing the manually loaded PHP modules and to:

Run following as root to enable remi repository to help with updating PHP modules on your RHEL 8 server: (as we've been managing without it so far)

dnf install https://rpms.remirepo.net/enterprise/remi-release-8.rpm

Once we get approval to add remirepo to our proxy, we'll be testing the migration from PHP 7.4.33 to PHP 8.0.30 so we are better poised for future PHP upgrades as more vulnerabilities are found/reported.

Regards,

Craig
<<MonitorGuy>>