Aruba syslog timestamp pattern

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios Log Server, our solution for managing and monitoring critical log data.
jniu

Aruba syslog timestamp pattern

Post by jniu »

Hi,

I am seeking help to get timestamp pattern properly matched. Here is the error in the logstash log:

{:timestamp=>"2023-08-22T11:33:40.818000-0700", :message=>"Failed parsing date from field", :field=>"log_date", :value=>"Aug 22 11:33:40.107 PDT", :exception=>"Invalid format: \"Aug 22 11:33:40.107 PDT\"", :config_parsers=>"MMM dd HH:mm:ss.SSS ZZZ,MMM dd HH:mm:ss ZZZ,MMM dd HH:mm:ss.SSS,YYYY MMM dd HH:mm:ss.SSS ZZZ,YYYY MMM dd HH:mm:ss ZZZ,YYYY MMM dd HH:mm:ss.SSS,ISO8601", :config_locale=>"default=en_US", :level=>:warn}

Here is what I have in the filter date session:

date {
match => [ "syslog_timestamp", "ISO8601", "MMM d HH:mm:ss", "MMM dd HH:mm:ss", "MMM dd HH:mm:ss.SSS" ]
timezone => "-0800"
remove_field => "syslog_timestamp"
}
danderson

Re: Aruba syslog timestamp pattern

Post by danderson »

Thanks for reaching out @jniu,

The error message you posted is about the field "log_date" and the filter you posted has the match on field "syslog_timestamp".

I think the error you mentioned is because the date filter cannot parse the timezone PDT. You can see here that logstash documention links the available timezones here. I don't see PDT. You can fix this by adding a mutate just above the date filter. This is an example that worked for me.

Code: Select all

filter {
    mutate {
        gsub => [ "log_date", "PDT", "America/Los_Angeles" ]
    }
    date {
        match => [ "log_date", "MMM dd HH:mm:ss.SSS ZZZ", "MMM dd HH:mm:ss ZZZ", "MMM dd HH:mm:ss.SSS", "YYYY MMM dd HH:mm:ss.SSS ZZZ", "YYYY MMM dd HH:mm:ss ZZZ", "YYYY MMM dd HH:mm:ss.SSS", "ISO8601" ]
    }
}