nrpe:unable to read output

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
Pratapa

nrpe:unable to read output

Post by Pratapa »

Hi,

One of the service checks "load" is in critical state and showing error "NRPE: unable to read output"

When we execute the following command from Nagios server it is giving error "NRPE: unable to read output"

/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H host1 -n -c check_load -a 60,55,50 80,75,70
NRPE: Unable to read output

When we execute the the command on the remote server using nagios user we are getting expected result.

/opt/iexpress/nagios/libexec/check_load -w 60,55,50 -c 80,75,70
OK -- load average 0.05,0.002,0.003|

We don't see any permission issue of /opt/iexpress/nagios/libexec/check_load

What could be the problem.

Pratap
swolf
Developer

Re: nrpe:unable to read output

Post by swolf »

Hi @Pratapa, thanks for reaching out.

I would go on host1 and check the NRPE daemon's log. If NRPE isn't returning output, you should see an error message indicating what's wrong with the incoming request.

Let me know if that helps or if you have any further questions or concerns.

-Sebastian Wolf
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy
Pratapa

Post by Pratapa »

Remote server is a HP-UX server and I did not find log file under /var/log directory.
Pratapa

Post by Pratapa »

I found a log file nagios.log under the directory /opt/iexpress/nagios/var but that is not getting updated.
Last update Oct 17 2014.
kg2857

Post by kg2857 »

The OP probably wants to check with nmap -Pn to see if nrpe is listening, and search the internet for the error message, which will lead to the TS document from nagios.
kabamaru

Post by kabamaru »

I'm having the same problem. Did you find a fix?
kg2857

Post by kg2857 »

So check_load fails as what user? Provide the command and output. you should have a new thred for this.