Best solution to monitor multiple site

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
viroif

Best solution to monitor multiple site

Post by viroif »

Hi everybody,

I post a message on this forum in the hope of clarifying a subject and start correctly my project.

I have multiple remote site to monitor.
On each site, I have somes servers (web, windows server, linux, ...) and each site have is own network.

Currently I have my Nagios Core server on my main site and for each site and each server I open the necessary port on my firewall.
On the main site, it's simple. I have my Nagios Core server which monitor all the server on the same site as him. Simple because all my server are in the same network.

But for my remotes sites and for each, his servers, my question is to know, what is the best proper solution to monitor every remote site and every remote server whithout open port on firewall for each.
In my mind, in my main site I have my Nagios Core server and on each site an other Nagios Core which takes care of collecting information from his site and do the relay to the main Core Server.
Like that, I just need to open on each firewall of each site the communication between each Nagios Core.

After a lot of reading, I saw a lot of alternative : poller, mod_gearman, other nagios core, simple daemon nrpe/snmp on remote host.
I don't know what is the simple and proper solution.

Thanks in advance for everyone who take the time to read me and give me their advice.

Have a nice evening !
danderson

Re: Best solution to monitor multiple site

Post by danderson »

Thanks for reaching out @viroif,

I wouldn't recommend installing many Nagios Core servers, but you can use agent based monitoring either with NCPA or NRPE like you mentioned.

You can see NRPE documentation here.
You can see NCPA documentation here.
viroif

Post by viroif »

Hello @danderson,

Thanks for your reply.

It's actually our solution.
On each remote site we have somes servers with NRPE client but the problem with this solution it's that need to open as much port as servers.

On firewall I need to do the necessary to open the NRPE (or NCPA) to each server.
Simple for the site A because on the same network. But for site B and C it's very time consuming.
Our policy need to declare the specific address X.X.X.X/32 and not open all the network X.X.X.X/24.

Today (open network flow in green) :

I would like to know if it's possible to have a kind of local nagios relay on each remote site to reach this plan (remote flow in green and local flow in red) :

I don't know if my demand it's very clear :D

Thanks a lot for any advise.
danderson

Post by danderson »

Yes that is possible. You can configure Nagios to export it's data. I would look into NRDP or NSCA or other plugins for NCPA or NRPE.

Docs:
https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... erview.pdf
https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... h-NRDP.pdf
https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/gen ... utions.pdf