New version question for 2024r1

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios Log Server, our solution for managing and monitoring critical log data.
rocheryderm

New version question for 2024r1

Post by rocheryderm »

Still based on Elasticsearch?

If so, what version?

I’m sorry if this is answered elsewhere; I read the product page but couldn’t find answers.

Mike
lgute

Re: New version question for 2024r1

Post by lgute »

Hi @rocheryderm, thanks for reaching out.

Nagios Log Server is using Elasticsearch version is 1.7.6.

You can always check with the following.

Code: Select all

curl -XGET 'http://localhost:9200'
Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

-Laura
kevinmjacobsen

Post by kevinmjacobsen »

Does Nagios see a future for Log Server that upgrades to a newer version of Elasticsearch in the near future?

I have groups that might be willing to use it, but they need a version of Elasticsearch that is newer than the Log Server version.

The way I read the output from the curl command, we are still running a 1.x version (1.7.6) or do I misunderstand and that version number means we are running a 7.x version?

If we are still in 1.x (from November 15, 2016) isn't it time to update? I mean, I like the new Log Server features... but I'd like to be able to offer features that my users require.
swolf
Developer

Post by swolf »

kevinmjacobsen wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:35 am Does Nagios see a future for Log Server that upgrades to a newer version of Elasticsearch in the near future?

I have groups that might be willing to use it, but they need a version of Elasticsearch that is newer than the Log Server version.

The way I read the output from the curl command, we are still running a 1.x version (1.7.6) or do I misunderstand and that version number means we are running a 7.x version?

If we are still in 1.x (from November 15, 2016) isn't it time to update? I mean, I like the new Log Server features... but I'd like to be able to offer features that my users require.
Hi @kevinmjacobsen,

Yes, we intend to upgrade the database backend in the near future. It probably won't be Elasticsearch due to some ambiguity in their licensing, but we recognize that it's long overdue to be modernized.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy
kevinmjacobsen

Post by kevinmjacobsen »

Thanks for answering my question. I'll look forward to an eventual Log Server platform upgrade in the future.
willie34

Post by willie34 »

kevinmjacobsen wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 4:01 pm Thanks for answering my question. I'll look forward to an eventual Log Server platform upgrade in the future.
I'm also looking forward to this upgrade word hurdle