Logs Archiving and Restore old logs

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios Log Server, our solution for managing and monitoring critical log data.
syedsheraz

Logs Archiving and Restore old logs

Post by syedsheraz »

Hi All,

i have 1 TB Space on Nagios Log Server and i have planned to take the logs snapshot backup in External Storage. So that later i can check my logs by restoration process.

Would you suggest how can we take backup for last 6 Month as this is incremental backup file of logs data, and can we restore the old backup or is it recommended to restore on same/production server OR we should use new test Nagios log server.

Please suggest.

Thanks!
Rishabh
swolf
Developer

Re: Logs Archiving and Restore old logs

Post by swolf »

Hi @syedsheraz,

If you haven't already, I would take a look at our Snapshots & Maintenance documentation, which describes our supported process for performing backups. Our process doesn't achieve incremental backups - we create a separate .tar.gz each time. That said, you may be able to integrate with another program that turns separate backups into incremental backups.

For restoring backups, I would test restoring the backup (which is hopefully a routine task) on the test server, but if you need to restore the data due to an event in production, I would use the production server.

Hopefully that helps, please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy