implement RHEL8.6 update to 4 instances Nagios Log server

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios Log Server, our solution for managing and monitoring critical log data.
woodwater

implement RHEL8.6 update to 4 instances Nagios Log server

Post by woodwater »

Hi all,
Our patching team is planning to implement RHEL8.6 update to our 4 instances Nagios Log server. This has never been done. In fact this is my first time involve in OS update for NLS. My basic understanding on the steps would be as below (if to update server one-by-one) :

1. Precheck of the servers
2. Backup and snapshot of the server and NLS
3. Stop elasticsearch and logstash
4. Patching team proceed with the update and reboot the server
5. Check for the server and also elasticsearch and logstash
6. Repeat step 3 to 5 for the remaining servers

Do let me know if I miss out on anything above or if there's additional steps needed to be taken.

Apart from that, is it possible to run the OS update concurrently on all 4 servers? or is that not recommended.

Your guidance and suggestion is very much appreciated.

Thank you.
jsimon

Re: implement RHEL8.6 update to 4 instances Nagios Log server

Post by jsimon »

Hi @woodwater,

We do not support in-place upgrades for Nagios products. Instead, our recommendation would be to add a new node with the desired OS to your Log Server cluster, wait for shard normalization, and then remove the old server. I've provided a guide to help you with this process below:

https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... luster.pdf

Please note that any closed indices will not be replicated, so if you want to keep these for the shard replication process, you'll need to open them when you add the new node.

Please let us know if you run into any issues with this, or have any questions!
woodwater

Post by woodwater »

Hi @jsimon,
Thanks for the reply. Really appreciate it. In your reply, if im not mistaken, what you're saying is that it is not possible to perform OS update to existing NLS servers w/o adding another new one? please note that we have 4 nagios log servers/instances.

Kindly confirm.
jsimon

Post by jsimon »

Performing an OS update to an existing NLS server is technically possible following the steps you have outlined, but is not something that we recommend or support. Our official recommendation is to perform a migration to a server running the OS you wish to upgrade to.
fearys

Post by fearys »

Thanks for information
thundernightmark

Post by thundernightmark »

Thank you for sharing
patrickhayes

Post by patrickhayes »

Windows and Linux log monitoring software Nagios Log Server provides better insight into network problems and log data.dinosaur game