virtualbox

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
micollin

virtualbox

Post by micollin »

I am trying the 60 day trial od nagiosxi using virtulaobx. I have successfully converted the vm image to a vdi and created the virtual machine. However, on boot, I get the following error in the attached screenshot.
I am using virtualbox version 3.2.6 r63112 on fedora care 13 64bit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mguthrie

Re: virtualbox

Post by mguthrie »

At the moment the OS still hasn't successfully booted, so there may have been a problem during the conversion process, or the original image was bad.

Are you setting up an Oracle VM to monitor, or is that what you installed Nagios on? We currently only support CentOS, RHEL, and Fedora installations.

We have a pre-built VM with Nagios XI already installed that runs on the VMware player. We do recommend using that for evaluations purposes as it will require the least amount of setup. http://library.nagios.com/library/produ ... downloads/

Otherwise our documentation to convert our VMware image to virtualbox can be found here
http://library.nagios.com/library/produ ... virtualbox
micollin

Post by micollin »

I did follow the conversion instructions. I have since loaded vmplayer and it runs fine.
mmestnik

Post by mmestnik »

You are likely using the wrong disk controller, try IDE instead of SCSI.

Neither the vitioblk or any SCSI/RAID drivers are configured. This can be done and is documented internally, with a call to mkinitrd or something like that. However I currently only have the options for KVM's virtio drivers, not the SCSI drivers you likely need or any of the Dell/PERC or RAID drivers others will need.

Submissions welcome, we would like to build an initrd that is ready to boot almost any system.
tonyyarusso

Post by tonyyarusso »

mguthrie wrote: Are you setting up an Oracle VM to monitor, or is that what you installed Nagios on? We currently only support CentOS, RHEL, and Fedora installations.
Sun Microsystems bought Innotek, and Oracle bought Sun. Thus, VirtualBox is now an Oracle product, and officially named "Oracle VM VirtualBox", which is what you're seeing in his screenshot.
Tony Yarusso
Technical Services
___
TIES
Web: http://ties.k12.mn.us/
mguthrie

Post by mguthrie »

Ah. Apologies for my ignorance micollin.
foliver

Post by foliver »

Virtual box wants to use AHCI support. To create AHCI support in a new initrd:

mkinitrd --allow-missing --preload=ahci --force-scsi-probe /boot/initrd-`uname -r`-custom.img `uname -r`

edit /boot/grub.conf:

initrd /initrd-2.6.18-164.91.e15.img

to:
initrd /initrd-2.6.18-164.91.e15-custom.img
mmestnik

Post by mmestnik »

Thank you for that we have been using:

Code: Select all

mkinitrd --with virtio_pci --with virtio_blk -f \
        /boot/initrd-$(uname -r).img $(uname -r)
So to incorporate your suggestion I've changed that to this:

Code: Select all

mkinitrd --with virtio_pci --with virtio_blk -f \
        --allow-missing --preload=ahci --force-scsi-probe \
        /boot/initrd-$(uname -r).img $(uname -r)
I was just reading about the correct syntax to be used on say a bookable DVD to ensure max compatibility, so perhaps this will get even more advanced.