Working through problems with Vmware SDK

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
toddac

Working through problems with Vmware SDK

Post by toddac »

Working through problems with Vmware SDK in order to monitor my ESX vSphere 4 Host.

At the end of the install I get this somewhat cryptic message - not sure where to go now. I've uploaded the zip file for the VMware wizard to the system - but it tells me it's not installed correctly.

Here is the message that the SDK gives me right as it finishes the install - is this causing the wizard to not run?

The wizard and links to download the SDK came from here: http://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nagi ... ios_XI.pdf

The installation of vSphere CLI 4.1.0 build-254719 for Linux completed
successfully. You can decide to remove this software from your system at any
time by invoking the following command:
"/usr/bin/vmware-uninstall-vSphere-CLI.pl".

This installer has successfully installed both vSphere CLI and the vSphere SDK
for Perl.

The following Perl modules were found on the system but may be too old to work
with vSphere CLI:

version 0.78 or newer
URI 1.37 or newer
mmestnik

Re: Working through problems with Vmware SDK

Post by mmestnik »

This indicates that you should upgrade the Perl modules called "version" and "URI" without the quotes.

Check with your OS Distribution documentation for how to do this. It would be helpful if you indicated what distribution you were using.
cjtech

Post by cjtech »

You using the latest nagios VM? Interesting that we would have different module errors, I got;

for Perl.

with vSphere CLI:

HTML::Parser 3.60 or newer
URI 1.37 or newer

Still working trying to get mine working correctly as well.

I am using the following, it had instructions built into the Wizard - http://exchange.nagios.org/directory/Ad ... rd/details
Box293
Too Basu

Post by Box293 »

Is it just the warning that you are concerned about, or are you actually having problems with the SDK?

cjtech,
I can confirm that the Wizard you provided a link for does work with:
  • The current VMware SDK 4.1
    Nagios XI R1.2D
I do get the same warning when installing the SDK however the functionality does not seem to be affected.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
TSCAdmin

Post by TSCAdmin »

I had the same error messages ... I personally just upgraded the mentioned packages, just in case, with no discernible impact.
mmestnik

Post by mmestnik »

That's a good point, though I can't just ignore support requests. Please indicate the severity level of the issues you face and describe there impact. cjtech, Can I take your meaning to indicate that you are using our VM? Yum updates can cause these to diverge from one-another making hunting down errors difficult and sometimes impossible. For example these all start out the same but an upgrade can pull in software that future upgrades would not.

I've done all I can with the information provided. I can't say I agree with the cryptic nature of the warning displayed, though I do agree that the module name choice could be improved. The message clearly indicates the word "may" making this a Warning and not an Error as previously indicated. From that perspective I can see becoming confused by an Error that is worded as though it were a Warning, if you follow.

Regardless my reply should have demystified the language for it's true meaning to be clear. This message is entirely a matter to be sorted out by the distribution and VMWare, the distribution of our VMWare images in CentOS.
toddac

Post by toddac »

mmestnik wrote:This indicates that you should upgrade the Perl modules called "version" and "URI" without the quotes.

Check with your OS Distribution documentation for how to do this. It would be helpful if you indicated what distribution you were using.
Using full install OS - CentOS 5.5 32bit - dedicated hardware.

I can't get the VMware config wizard to work within the browser to monitor a vm host. I'd like to keep an eye on the datastores, RAM , CPU - etc of our ESX box that is hosting 9 Windows Server guests.

Sorry, it's obvious Perl isn't my strength. YUM won't update them as they aren't recognized as a package by themselves. Can someone point me in the direction of how to get those Perl packages updated? Or if they still work with that older version - I really don't care - I just want the wizard to complete and start monitoring my vmware box. I've already had 2 Purple screens of Death and not wanting to get caught off guard.

thx
TSCAdmin

Post by TSCAdmin »

You can update the packages two ways ...

1) via yum
2) via CPAN

The easiest method is yum:

Code: Select all

yum update perl-URI perl-version
toddac

Post by toddac »

TSCAdmin wrote:You can update the packages two ways ...

1) via yum
2) via CPAN

The easiest method is yum:

Code: Select all

yum update perl-URI perl-version

Bugger - I was hoping that would do the trick - sigh....

I ran just as you posted and the system reported nothing to do. yum update perl-URI perl-version didn't do anything. I re ran the Vmware SDK installer script - thinking that may be it didn't have anything to do because they were already updated by going from 2009R.1 to R.1D - but not so.

I'm still getting this after uninstalling it and reinstalling the SDK:
Please wait while copying vSphere CLI files...

for Perl.

with vSphere CLI:

version 0.78 or newer
URI 1.37 or newer

Enjoy,

--the VMware team

So - will this still work and I can just ignore that it thinks "version" and "URI" are old? Also can't seem to get my vmware-nagios.zip file to do anything within the NAGIOS Core. It doesn't show up as a choice within in the config wizard. Man - this just takes too much work for something that should just be simple browse and upload. Just griping that I had hoped to have had it running before the weekend.

thx for your help and hopefully someone can help me through this.
TSCAdmin

Post by TSCAdmin »

Sorry, I'm using a custom repository where I placed those packages, which I should have checked before giving you that command to try.

I just went through the EPEL, Dag, and Core repositories ... looks like the packages that you're using are the highest available versions for a standard Nagios system install. That being said, I just tried the VMware check scripts using the standard URI and version packages, and the VMware wizard and checks worked just fine. So you should be good to go with what you've got.

When you say you're having problems with the vmware-nagios.zip, have you attempted to import the wizard using the "Admin" page, under "Manage Config Wizards"?