NSClient - ERROR:Invalid password

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
Depenning Company

NSClient - ERROR:Invalid password

Post by Depenning Company »

Dear All,

I am getting below error in Nagios

Status Information : NSClient - ERROR:Invalid password

For Windows C Drive Space and D Drive space
kg2857

Re: NSClient - ERROR:Invalid password

Post by kg2857 »

The nsclient password in XI is typically defined in resources.cfg. It needs to match the password probably defined in nsclient.ini if I recall.
Depenning Company

Dear All,

Below steps is the procedure to solve this error

If you specified a password in the NSClient++ configuration file on the Windows machine, you'll need to modify the check_nt command definition to include the password. Open the commands.cfg file for editing.

vi /usr/local/nagios/etc/objects/commands.cfg

Change the definition of the check_nt command to include the "-s <PASSWORD>" argument (where PASSWORD is the password you specified on the Windows machine) like this:

define command{
command_name check_nt
command_line $USER1$/check_nt -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -p 12489 -s PASSWORD -v $ARG1$ $ARG2$
}

Save the file.
kg2857

Post by kg2857 »

Probably a better way is to do things as NXI is set up as I explained above.
Depenning Company

Dear Kg2857,

Kindly share me the steps how to check nsclient defined password in resources.cfg
kg2857

Post by kg2857 »

The command has the macro (think variable) $USERx$ that's defined in the resources.cfg file.
The command provides a bit of abstraction/security between allowing a service running actual shell commands vs nagios commands. It's a bit confusing at first I know.
swolf
Developer

Post by swolf »

Depenning Company wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:53 am Dear Kg2857,

Kindly share me the steps how to check nsclient defined password in resources.cfg
Hi @Depenning Company,

To check the resources.cfg file, Go to Configure -> CCM -> Tools -> User Macros. On that page, you may have to click the Gear icon to configure the User Macro component - you'll want to make sure that "Redact Displayed Values" is unchecked. Once you've configured the component, you should be able to see the full file in cleartext.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy