global disable/enable of 'active' checks

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
bbrown

global disable/enable of 'active' checks

Post by bbrown »

I know there is the ability to 'globally' disable notifications within Nagios / Nagios XI, but is there a way to 'globally' disable ALL 'active' checks?
We are in the process of evaluating 'Nagios XI', and importing from our current Nagios 'core' product we have up and running in our Production environment. We have several hundred hosts, and a 1000+ service checks. While evaluating, we'd like to disable/enable ALL 'active' checks, the same way 'notifications' are disabled/enabled. Is there a command to accomplish this?
mmestnik

Re: global disable/enable of 'active' checks

Post by mmestnik »

I remember this was available in Nagios Core. Parts of that interface still remain as well as the command API.
http://old.nagios.org/developerinfo/ext ... mand_id=68
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Go to Admin -> Monitoring Engine Status. You'll see a dashlet called Monitoring Engine Process. Click the "X" on the Active Service Checks and Active Host Checks items to disable all active checks in Nagios XI.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.

Ethan Galstad
President
bbrown

Post by bbrown »

Is there a way to start 'Nagios XI' in a 'active' checks disabled status? During evaluation/testing I'd rather be able to bounce/start the environment in a 'disabled' status and enable on a 'need be' basis. This way I can correct/configure issues before-hand.

Also - I'd created a script that I can run manually or through CRON that puts ALL 'hostgroups' (we have 43 hostgroups at the moment) in a scheduled downtime for any 'maintenance window' time-frames we do. I see in 'Nagios XI' just as in Nagios 'core', that scheduling downtime for 'hostgroups' still isn't an option (only an option for 'hosts' or 'services'). Is this something that is being looked into as a standard functionality, or?
mmestnik

Post by mmestnik »

Management of group based down times is not planned. However it is a simple script(I do myne in awk) that would grab the group membership from the objects.cache file and spit commands at the external command socket. This would add several downtimes effectivly creating a downtime for a group.

You could add sending the "stop" command to the init script, it should loop/sleep a bit waiting for the socket to appere. This can also be specified in the config file... however NagisQL(CCM) manages the config file and I'm not sure it will support this option.