Manual Installation Failure

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
adam_baldwin

Manual Installation Failure

Post by adam_baldwin »

No matter what I try (Fedora 12, 13 or CentOS 5.4, 5.5) I get the following errors while following the manual installation instructions. I have tried both the stable and devel on all of the platforms with the same results. I'm using the images provided by Rackspacecloud since I am unable to host it myself at this time. Is there any better / more through installation instructions / requirements that I can follow to get this installed?

[root@nagios1 nagiosxi]# ./3-dbservers
Initializing PostgresQL...
postgresql: unrecognized service
Starting PostgresQL...
cp: cannot create regular file `/var/lib/pgsql/data/pg_hba.conf': No such file or directory
Restarting PostgresQL...
Starting MySQL...
mysqld: unrecognized service
Setting MySQL root password...
./3-dbservers: line 36: mysqladmin: command not found
MySQL root password set to: nagiosxi
[root@nagios1 nagiosxi]#
tonyyarusso

Re: Manual Installation Failure

Post by tonyyarusso »

Sounds like you haven't yet installed PostgreSQL and MySQL, which is done by the -prereqs script. The scripts needs to all be executed in numerical order, and if an error occurred during a step that needs to be addressed before going on. So, you'll need to find out why the database servers were not installed first.
Tony Yarusso
Technical Services
___
TIES
Web: http://ties.k12.mn.us/
mmestnik

Post by mmestnik »

This is typical of an install on 64bit. Make sure to use 32bit operating system, as many of the nessisary packages do not get built on 64bit platforms.
adam_baldwin

Post by adam_baldwin »

I managed to make it past this step. I had to first update fedora 13 using 'yum update' before running the installation process.

Now I get to the final Access Nagios XI screen and when clicked it goes to a blank page.

HTTPD error log shows the following.

[Wed Aug 11 17:58:59 2010] [error] [client XX.XX.XX.XX] PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected $end in /usr/local/nagiosxi/html/includes/errors.inc.php on line 39, referer: http://XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX/

Thoughts or other data to gather to assist with troubleshooting?
mmestnik

Post by mmestnik »

What browser? Try using FireFox.

Never seen that error b4.
adam_baldwin

Post by adam_baldwin »

It's not a browser specific error. That's server side PHP rendering issue. Tried alternative browsers with no luck. :-)
mmestnik

Post by mmestnik »

I pointed our developers at the error and they will try and identify the issue... If it's not a bug in the code we would be running out of debugging options.

I'd just rather believe that $end was some JavaScript that was not run, then the alternative that you have file-system corruption. I wonder how many others have the same errors.inc.php as you.
adam_baldwin

Post by adam_baldwin »

The short version of the php tags in the errors.inc.php once the <? tags were replaced with <?php this particular error went away. Apparently the php.ini that I was using had short_open_tag=Off, which is preferable for production
tonyyarusso

Post by tonyyarusso »

Which file(s) were using short tags? All of them?
Tony Yarusso
Technical Services
___
TIES
Web: http://ties.k12.mn.us/
adam_baldwin

Post by adam_baldwin »

Not all of them, but I stopped at fixing 2 of them. As I fixed one, I was able to login and then another one popped up with the same issue. I realized that I had probably missed something in the php.ini when I checked that earlier.

I went back and combed the php.ini for that setting, as I had missed it the first time and sure enough it was set to off. Might be a good thing to check for / set in the installation scripts.