Addressing continual (nagging) emails from Stacked switch

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
toddac

Addressing continual (nagging) emails from Stacked switch

Post by toddac »

Hi-

I've got a Netgear Stacked switch with 3 - 48 port switches in it that I've imported into Nagios to monitor as a network switch. This is the core switch in my data center and all of my servers run through it. Lately I've been getting so many emails from it I could scream. It's monitoring Port status - which is great - although when I unplug a server and move it - it gets mad at me. I'm also monitoring the bandwidth of the ports as well. This is the sticky point. The bandwidth monitor is so twitchy that it drives me crazy. Aside from deleting and removing the entire stack and losing all of the info and port status/bandwidth usage of 144 Gig ports - I'm at a loss as to what to do. If the bandwidth changes from 0.0Mb/s throughput to 3.9Mb/s throughput - it yells and screams that it's CRITICAL. How do I change the threshold? I'd like a warning when it's at 80-90% of bandwidth utilization - not just a small transfer from one system to another. I get literally 200-300 emails a day from this system and is just enough to lose any ACTUAL warnings - in fact I did the other morning. I had a box down and didn't see it amongst the maze of these useless bandwidth warnings.

help - I don't know where to go to change this. Do I go to the Nagios Core? Is there a way to mass-edit all 144 ports? Like I said - I like the bandwidth historical graphs - but I am going crazy with the emails so I don't want to remove everything.

Your advice and expertise is appreciated.

Example of Problem Service Alert:
***** Nagios XI Alert *****

Notification Type: PROBLEM

Service: Port 139 Bandwidth
Host: Netgear Stacked Switch
Address: 10.xx.xx.xx
State: WARNING
Info:
WARNING - Current BW in: 0Mbps Out: 22.15Mbps
Date/Time: 08/10/2010 14:55:11

Nagios URL: http://10.xx.xx.xx/nagiosxi/
mmestnik

Re: Addressing continual (nagging) emails from Stacked switch

Post by mmestnik »

The simple things first. If you are going to down something make sure to put it into maintenance mode first... If you are going to be moving lots of things around then just clean up afterwards and make sure Nagios is put back into order.

As for BW monitoring there can be several problems that ppl have. Check past postings and see if any of them apply to you.

You could provide us with more information like:
Copies or your rrd files, but only if that's simple for you... Images(save-as) of your graphs otherwise.
Copies of your alert and notification histories.
Current/example performance data(from the advanced tab).

You may run through the Wizard multiple times, this is not only supported it's nearly required. I should ask if the correct "configure this service" is adequate, our idea was to have this screen drop you back into the wizard that was used to generate the service instead of the placeholder minimal edition that exists today.