Integrating email verification into Nagios: any advice ?

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios Log Server, our solution for managing and monitoring critical log data.
Marcos T

Integrating email verification into Nagios: any advice ?

Post by Marcos T »

Hello everyone,

I'm currently working on enhancing the management of alerts and notifications in Nagios, and I'm particularly interested in integrating an email address verifier to optimize the reliability of these communications. Before sending out critical alerts or notifications to my team or clients, I want to ensure that the email addresses used are valid and won't result in delivery errors. I was wondering if anyone here has integrated such a feature into Nagios or used an external email verification tool that could be compatible with our monitoring system.

Do you have any tool recommendations or advice on how to implement this type of verification? Any help or shared experience would be greatly appreciated to help make our notification system more robust and reliable.

Thank you in advance for your time and expertise.
swolf
Developer

Re: Integrating email verification into Nagios: any advice ?

Post by swolf »

Hi @Marcos T, thanks for reaching out.

That's a good point, I think we have a lot of opportunity to improve our notification/user management experience.

I think that if you wanted to verify user emails right now, you would probably have to go to Admin->General->Mail Settings->Test Settings (button on bottom right). So to test email delivery to a specific account, you'd either have to change your own email to the user's email, or you'd have to give them admin permissions and then log in as them. Alternatively, you could create a query-based alert that will always trigger and assign it to them briefly

Either way, I don't think that's an ideal workflow, so I've submitted a feature request on your behalf.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy