Aruba switch monitoring - bandwidth in rrd says NaN

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
jacek

Aruba switch monitoring - bandwidth in rrd says NaN

Post by jacek »

Hi,

recently we added a Aruba switch to our monitoring using the switch wizard, but the bandwidth graphs are flat (0).
I checked the mrtg config, which seems to be ok comparing to other vendor switches.
One thing I noticed is that the rrd file has NaN in the values when I dump the file and the wizard detects port speeds in kbps.
Not sure where to look for the root cause.

A mrtg config for that switch created using cfgmaker seems to be fine.
Zabbix has no issues with that device and is drawing graphs without any issues.
Running a snmpget towards 1.3.6.1.2.1.31.1.1.1.6.47 from nagios gives ok looking results.
bbahn

Re: Aruba switch monitoring - bandwidth in rrd says NaN

Post by bbahn »

Hello @jacek,

Sorry to hear you're encountering this issue. I suggest you go to your CCM from Configuration->Core Config Manager, then find your host/services related to your Aruba switch. Using the Run Check Command, you can see if Nagios XI is receiving the data properly. If not, you can copy the command from the output into a terminal on your XI server and see if the plugin is working properly.
April: Actively advancing awesome answers with ardent alliteration, aptly addressing all ambiguities. Amplify your acumen and avail our amicable assistance. Eagerly awaiting your astute assessments of our advice.
jacek

Post by jacek »

Hi,

I already tested that, if you read my initial post you can see that I already went a few steps ahead than this basic test (result attached on the bottom of this message).
If I run the rrddump tool against the rrd files I get NaN in the results, so something is wrong with the mrtg query.
I also posted this message on the customer board but got no response there. (https://nagiosenterprises.my.site.com/s ... d-says-nan).

I checked also the troubleshooting guide, but no luck: https://support.nagios.com/kb/article/n ... hs-29.html

Code: Select all

[nagios@host ~]$ /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_rrdtraf -f /var/lib/mrtg/192.168.200.18_47.rrd -w 500,500 -c 800,800 -l M
OK - Current BW in: 0Mbps Out: 0Mbps|in=0Mb/s;500;800 out=0Mb/s;500;800
jacek

Post by jacek »

Bump?
jsimon

Post by jsimon »

Hi @jacek,

I think the next step here is to look at the root mailbox, as this is where MRTG should be logging to if it has issues collecting data from a device. Try running this command in a terminal on the XI server that is having this problem:

Code: Select all

LANG=C LC_ALL=C /usr/bin/mrtg /etc/mrtg/mrtg.cfg
If there are ports MRTG is struggling with, this should be how we'll know which ones they are. The next step may be to go into the MRTG config and comment out the ports that are causing issues, especially if those aren't the ports you're trying to collect data on. Let us know what you get from the output of this command so we have an idea what the issue might be.
jacek

Post by jacek »

I already ran that command, in my initial investigation.
Now I even removed the host, services and the mrtg related config file.
I'm now on Nagios XI 2024R1.1 and ran the switch/router wizard, afterwards I ran your command again and there are no warnings/errors with the host IP in it.
jsimon

Post by jsimon »

I would recommend removing the rrd and xml files for the bandwidth service. Nagios should regenerate them, and they may be recreated without those NaN values.
jacek

Post by jacek »

Deleted, files got recreated, but no change.