Gateway Timeout logging in to Nagios Log Server

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios Log Server, our solution for managing and monitoring critical log data.
riahc3

Gateway Timeout logging in to Nagios Log Server

Post by riahc3 »

Im getting a Gateway Timeout when logging in to Nagios Log Server. One instance.

This is a VM with 4 cores and 32GB of RAM. Its not a light machine :/ I can throw more resources at it but I want to make sure I dont do overboard.

What and how can we do to fix it? It needs to be a configuration of some sort that makes it decent
lgute

Re: Gateway Timeout logging in to Nagios Log Server

Post by lgute »

Hi @riahc3, thanks for reaching out.

Have you checked the disk space to see if any of the partitions are out of space?

If that is not the issue, we could use more information, in order to help you. What OS/version and version of Log Server are you using?
Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

-Laura
riahc3

Post by riahc3 »

lgute wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:45 am Hi @riahc3, thanks for reaching out.

Have you checked the disk space to see if any of the partitions are out of space?

If that is not the issue, we could use more information, in order to help you. What OS/version and version of Log Server are you using?
There is space.

CentOS Stream 9
Kernel 5.14.0-410.el9.x86_64

I would say its the latest version of Nagios Log Server (I cant logon because of this constant error)
swolf
Developer

Post by swolf »

Hi @riahc3,

We've identified this as a problem on our end. We don't have a workaround but there will be a fix with the next maintenance release of NLS.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy
riahc3

Post by riahc3 »

swolf wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:11 am Hi @riahc3,

We've identified this as a problem on our end. We don't have a workaround but there will be a fix with the next maintenance release of NLS.
Oh, we were thinking it was resources or ELK (Elastic, Logstash or Kibana) issue...Thank you for confirming.

Is there a approximate release date for the next maintenance release? Obviously, we have two issues:

1: No access to logs
2: Disk space filling up and noway to administer it (except expanding the partition which just gets filled up again)

What do you recommend?

Thanks
swolf
Developer

Post by swolf »

I can't guarantee this will work, but you can try visiting the 'admin' or 'dashboard' section directly by modifying your URL, e.g. https://<logserver_ip>/nagioslogserver/admin - if that works for you, just avoid visiting the home page and you should still have access to the rest of the application. If it doesn't work, the apache server might still be hanging on the original request in spite of the gateway timeout - you might try directly visiting the URL without filling out the login form again ~5-10 minutes later.

As far as the next release of Log Server, I would guess that it'll be somewhere between mid-April and mid-May, but nothing is set in stone right now.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy
riahc3

Post by riahc3 »

swolf wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:26 am I can't guarantee this will work, but you can try visiting the 'admin' or 'dashboard' section directly by modifying your URL, e.g. https://<logserver_ip>/nagioslogserver/admin - if that works for you, just avoid visiting the home page and you should still have access to the rest of the application. If it doesn't work, the apache server might still be hanging on the original request in spite of the gateway timeout - you might try directly visiting the URL without filling out the login form again ~5-10 minutes later.

As far as the next release of Log Server, I would guess that it'll be somewhere between mid-April and mid-May, but nothing is set in stone right now.
Tried to go both to http://<logserverip>/nagioslogserver/dashboard and http://<logserverip>/nagioslogserver/admin and same thing ; It doesnt even give me a chance to login.

Is there a way to downgrade some way to a previous Nagios Log Server? Any auditing would cause issues as we cannot get logs...
swolf
Developer

Post by swolf »

I probably spoke too quickly - I talked to the Support team and they're saying they do see a fair number of gateway timeout issues due to hardware limitations (usually RAM). If the workaround from my last reply doesn't work, that makes it more likely that it's not due to the issue we're patching next month. At this point, I would recommend opening a case so that the Support team can answer definitively for your specific system.

As far as "downgrade" functionality, that's unfortunately not something we have at this time.
riahc3

Post by riahc3 »

swolf wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:28 am I probably spoke too quickly - I talked to the Support team and they're saying they do see a fair number of gateway timeout issues due to hardware limitations (usually RAM). If the workaround from my last reply doesn't work, that makes it more likely that it's not due to the issue we're patching next month. At this point, I would recommend opening a case so that the Support team can answer definitively for your specific system.

As far as "downgrade" functionality, that's unfortunately not something we have at this time.
Do I need to go to 64GB? I remember there were some adjustments that can be made to Elastic so it can be more stable.
swolf
Developer

Post by swolf »

If you're already on 32GB RAM, I would expect that to be sufficient for most environments, but I can't speak to yours - I would highly recommend opening a case on Answer Hub so that our support team can look into your environment and help dig into logs.