Upgrading to RHEL 8 from 7 and python/pip

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
btsmnagios

Upgrading to RHEL 8 from 7 and python/pip

Post by btsmnagios »

We have a couple of XI instances built on RHEL 7.4 / 7.5 which we need to upgrade by the end of May.
For the upgrade to take place I first need to update RHEL past the current version which I cant do at the moment because python is sat at 2.7.5 and this needs to be upgraded in order to complete the OS update to 7.9.

I have read that XI will only work with python2 (we're currently on 5.11.1). Is this still the case or can I safely upgrade to python 3 without breaking anything in XI?
bbahn

Re: Upgrading to RHEL 8 from 7 and python/pip

Post by bbahn »

Hello @btsmnagios,

Python3 typically installs alongside and separately from Python2 and is called by python3 while python will call Python 2. This means that even if you are using an old version of XI that doesn't support Python3, you should be alright. That said, Nagios XI now uses Python3 by default. It is likely that you already have Python 3 installed. Python 2 likely remains installed because of various plugins that had not yet been updated to use Python3 yet. If you need to update your Python 2 version, it would be updating to 2.7.18 since Python 2 and Python 3 are essentially separate projects.
April: Actively advancing awesome answers with ardent alliteration, aptly addressing all ambiguities. Amplify your acumen and avail our amicable assistance. Eagerly awaiting your astute assessments of our advice.