monitoring engine status - process state not running

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
dlally

monitoring engine status - process state not running

Post by dlally »

Like the title states. My monitoring engine process state is showing as not running. My dashboard is not currently updating at all.

I deleted all the services/hosts except for localhost Deleted configs, write configs, verified files. All looks good.

At one point one of the mounts did hit 100%. I did add space and restarted everything afterwards.

However the process state does not change from not running to running at all.

Any ideas?
sgardil

Re: monitoring engine status - process state not running

Post by sgardil »

Hey @dlally

Something that seems to be common when the monitoring engine isnt working is a lot of the time there is an error with contacts. You can try following the process in this post and see if that gets you anywhere. If you run into trouble feel free to let us know and post your findings in here from verifying your files.
jsimon

Post by jsimon »

Hi @dlally,

If @sgardil's suggested fix doesn't get this solved for you, I would also recommend looking at the Nagios core log file:

Code: Select all

/usr/local/nagios/var/nagios.log
This may have some error output that might provide more information. Another clue is that if you hit 100% disk usage, your database may have become corrupted. Look in the

/var/lib/mysql/
directory, and look for files with names formatted like this:

/var/lib/mysql/nagios/nagios_flappinghistory.MYD-589_230
The '-###_###' naming format is something to look for here, if the issue is database corruption due to no drive space.
dlally

Post by dlally »

sgardil wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:16 am Hey @dlally

Something that seems to be common when the monitoring engine isnt working is a lot of the time there is an error with contacts. You can try following the process in this post and see if that gets you anywhere. If you run into trouble feel free to let us know and post your findings in here from verifying your files.

I did go through the config file management and the verify files comes back all clean. No warnings or errors.
dlally

Post by dlally »

jsimon wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:38 am Hi @dlally,

If @sgardil's suggested fix doesn't get this solved for you, I would also recommend looking at the Nagios core log file:

This may have some error output that might provide more information. Another clue is that if you hit 100% disk usage, your database may have become corrupted. Look in the

/var/lib/mysql/

The '-###_###' naming format is something to look for here, if the issue is database corruption due to no drive space.

I do see some #ib_16384_0 files in here, is that what you meant?

I have done the database repair already as well, but the monitoring engine status still has issues.
sgardil

Post by sgardil »

dlally wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:52 am
jsimon wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:38 am Hi @dlally,

/var/lib/mysql/

I do see some #ib_16384_0 files in here, is that what you meant?

I have done the database repair already as well, but the monitoring engine status still has issues.
Is there any warning or errors logged in correlation to those files? After doing some research it seems that msg is talking about InnoDB. I'm not sure what the numbers are related to without more information unfortunately.
dacaron

Post by dacaron »

I had this issue where the monitoring engine process would show as not running, but I would have the green checmark in the top right corner even though active checks were not working.

after a lot of back and forth with the support, they had me do a bunch of truncate command in the DB, but ultimatly what fixed it was this

Edit the /usr/local/nagios/etc/nagios.cfg file and change this from

check_for_updates=1

to

check_for_updates=0

Save the change.

Restart nagios

systemctl restart nagios
The automatic update check is for Core only so you do not need to put is back and it is a special version that comes with XI so it should not be updated manually as an XI upgrade will do it for you if needed.