CCM Edit Service Failing

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
AngeloMileto

CCM Edit Service Failing

Post by AngeloMileto »

I'll try to explain the best I can and please don't ask to paste in configs/screen shots as this is a production system at work and it's not connected to the outside world.

I was used to using Nagios Core for a number of years but this office uses XI. Okay, I can deal with a GUI if I have to. So I wanted to add in a new Service. The plan was to create a new service and than apply a hostgroup (linux-servers) to it. Then, any hosts that are a member of the linux-servers group will automagically get that service check. Is that right so far?

So I created the service "Service_Compliance_Status", and I only filled out the first page assuming that everything else that needed to be filled in would have a default value - obviously it doesn't (REALLY???). So when I attempted to "Apply Configuration", it fails telling me "Invalid max_attempts, check_interval, retry_interval ...... etc.

Damn! Okay, go back into the service and edit it to include those values. Funny thing, when I click on Save, it shows no error but instead of going back to the services screen, it goes all the way back to the CCM Main page - I though that's odd! And so when I looked at the service again, sure enough, none of the edits I made were saved!

Tried it again 2 or three times and nothing. I even looked at the config for the service both via the "View Config" button as well as just cating on the host itself /usr/local/nagios/etc/services/Service_Compliance_Status.cfg" and sure enough, all that is in there is the description, hostgroup_name, check_command and register=1.

What gives? Is there an error in my underlying database? Is there a log that I can look at to see if there is an error being reported? I suspect that if I delete this service, apply configuration, then recreate the service with all the required fields, it may work but wanted to know what was wrong to begin with so I don't keep making the same mistake or, if it's a database issue, get it fixed.
lgute

Re: CCM Edit Service Failing

Post by lgute »

Hi @AngeloMileto, thanks for reaching out.

What version of XI are you using and what OS/version?
create a new service and than apply a hostgroup (linux-servers) to it. Then, any hosts that are a member of the linux-servers group will automagically get that service check. Is that right so far?
Yes, that is what happens.

A feature enhancement has been created to address Host and Service Management allowing incomplete/invalid entries to be saved, without user notification.

I was unable to reproduce the other issue you had with getting thrown back to the main CCM screen. So I am not sure what is going on there.

Here is a document that lists and describes the logfiles that may help you.

Since you are more familiar with Core, you can still add core configurations in /usr/local/nagios/etc/static/ or create the configuration files and import them into the CCM (Core Config Manager) under Configure Tools > Import Config Files.
Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

-Laura
AngeloMileto

Post by AngeloMileto »

Nagios XI 5.9.3 running on a RedHat 7.9 virtual machine. As I said, unfortunately, this system isn't connected to the outside world so doing system updates isn't simple. My goal is to get the bugs worked out of this one and prove to the team that it's a viable and beneficial tool - no one else knew how to set it up - and then build a new one on RedHat 8/9 and get the latest, hopefully selinux compliant, version of XI.

There is definitely something spooky going on and I'm suspecting a db issue. I added a number of new hosts by creating the files and dropping them into the import folder. Then used the import function from the Web/UI. They all showed up just fine. Added them to the appropriate hostgroups and then applied the configuration. In the list, they still showed as "Not Applied". Repeated the Apply Configuration process a number of times and each time it said good/green and even showed all of those hosts' files being written - over and over. This morning when I came in, they were still "Not Applied" so I applied the configuration again and they are now all "Applied"? Spooky.

Will keep moving on for now and assume there is something in the backend but it would probably be fixed if/when we build a new one. For now, I'll work around it by completely deleting the offending hosts and then manually importing them.

I do understand that I could put .cfg files in the static directory but I'm refraining from doing that as editing them would require others to learn the format/syntax rather than just using the Web/UI.

Thanks for the log file list! I'll have to keep that handy. If there is anything specific you want me to try to help isolate/identify a potential bug, happy to help
lgute

Post by lgute »

Hi @AngeloMileto,

With the issues you are running into, I would encourage you to contact Support, because they have in-depth knowledge on how to troubleshoot and resolve issues. You can contact Support by creating a ticket at https://answerhub.nagios.com/support/s/.
Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

-Laura
AngeloMileto

Post by AngeloMileto »

Things appear to be working slightly better. There are still the odd - non-applied - issues but I ran the database repair commands a few times and things seem to be much better making changes in the web UI and having them actually applied. I still use the import function to add new hosts in mass but that's minor. The overall plan is that once I can prove that it's working and valuable is to build a new RedHat 8 server and install the latest nagios XI on there.