Exclude Host from Some Services - 2012

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
gregbeyer

Exclude Host from Some Services - 2012

Post by gregbeyer »

Hello, I'd like to refresh this topic from 2012. viewtopic.php?t=5508

I have hosts in a hostgroup, which is undergoes multiple service checks, applicable to almost all hosts in the HG. But for some hosts, those checks are not appropriate, and result in meaningless alerts.

I need to exclude those few hosts from several checks that do not apply to them. I do not see a feature for excluding checks. Does still require editing .cfg files?

Thanks
gwesterman

Re: Exclude Host from Some Services - 2012

Post by gwesterman »

Hi @gregbeyer,

This document goes over how you can exclude specific hosts and hostgroups. When you add hosts to a hostgroup, there is also an option to exclude specific hosts (via a checkbox).

Hope this helps, and let us know if you need help with anything else.

Thank you!
Zubairsk

Re: Exclude Host from Some Services - 2012

Post by Zubairsk »

Hey there! It's great that you're revisiting this topic from 2012. It seems like you're dealing with hosts in a hostgroup undergoing multiple service checks, but some of these checks aren't relevant to certain hosts, leading to unnecessary alerts. To exclude specific hosts from certain checks, you're correct that there isn't a built-in feature for this in most monitoring systems. Typically, you'd still need to manually edit the configuration files (.cfg files) to exclude those hosts from specific checks. While it might involve a bit of manual work, it's a common practice for fine-tuning monitoring setups to ensure you're only receiving meaningful alerts. If you need further assistance with the configuration or have any other questions, feel free to ask!