Monitor mem usage without pagefile

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
h2per

Monitor mem usage without pagefile

Post by h2per »

Hello everyone,

I install nagios core 3.2.1 with the recents plugins on Ubuntu Server 10.04 LTS. All goes normal. But when i add a windows server to monitoring... in the services page it shows

Memory usage: total:4330.61 Mb - used: 1776.48 Mb (41%) - free: 2554.14 Mb (59%)

But my server only have 2 GB (It shows page file and system mem).

service is configure as

define service{
use generic-service
host_name serverad
service_description Memory Usage
check_command check_nt!MEMUSE!-w 80 -c 90
}

How change this command or use other check, i mean check_nrpe

define service{
use generic-service
host_name serverad
service_description Memory Usage
check_command check_nrpe ???????????? what command go here

}

This command runs in command line, but in the check_command do not work

/usr/local/nagios/libexec$ sudo ./check_nrpe -H '192.168.1.11' -t 30 -c CheckMem -a MaxCrit=100% ShowAll type=physical

OK: physical memory: 1.61G|'physical memory %'=80%;822083633;100 'physical memory'=1.61G;16430728.01;1.99;0;1.99

Any have ideas

Thanks
agriffin

Re: Monitor mem usage without pagefile

Post by agriffin »

This is a result of how the check_nt plugin calculates memory values. The preferred solution for most users seems to be to use the check_nrpe plugin to distinguish the memory types.
GreatWolfResorts wrote:I essentially created the following custom command:

check_xi_service_nrpe:

Code: Select all

$USER1$/check_nrpe -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -p 5666 -c $ARG1$ -a MaxWarn=$ARG2$% MaxCrit=$ARG3$% $ARG4$ $ARG5$
$ARG4$ = "type=physical"
Note: You will need to enable some NRPE commands in the nsc.ini file on the remote device. Specifically: allow_arguments=1

Alternatively, a full understanding of the check_nt MEMUSE command helps when reviewing the values returned. Windows refers to the sum of memory and swap files, that is, the entire available virtual memory. Windows regularly swaps program and data code from the main memory, even when it still has spare reserves. In this respect the load of the entire virual memory in Windows is the more important parameter to observe over simply physical or swap.

So in the end, the values returned weren't necessarily a bug in NagiosXI or nsclient++, but rather a view of the virtual memory of the machine.

Hope this helps!
h2per

Post by h2per »

Hi everyone

This is the command I need to congifure en services file, but i'm don't know how to create that configuration... and I use Nagios Core, not Nagios XI.

agriffin you can tell me how and what files i need to edit or mod to monitor ram correctly.

Thanks
agriffin

Post by agriffin »

The information I provided applies just as well to Nagios Core as to Nagios XI. I've changed a few details here for simplicity. First you will need NRPE installed on the Windows machine (there's pretty good documentation on that here. In commands.cfg, add the following command:

define command{
    command_name  check_windows_memory
    command_line  $USER1$/check_nrpe -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -p 5666 -c checkMem -a MaxWarn=$ARG1$% MaxCrit=$ARG2$% type=physical $ARG3$
    }
Then add the following service definition to one of your Nagios config files:

define service{
    use                  generic-service
    host_name            serverad
    service_description  Memory Usage
    check_command        check_windows_memory!80!90
    }
Restart Nagios and it should work! Hope that helps!