Replication Between Nagios Servers

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
emerson.candido

Replication Between Nagios Servers

Post by emerson.candido »

Hello everybody,

I don´t have many experience in Nagios, but I need to implement this solution in my company and I found the following problem:

I have two different networks that have communication just by a firewall, one of this networks is a secure environment and don´t have external access like internet, beyond all traffic is controlled, I can grant just access to outbound connections from this network, inbound connection is not allowed.

I need to monitoring the servers of the both networks, I was wondering that the just way to do it is to install two Nagios, one of each network, but arose another problem:

How can I manage two Nagios servers in my environment, but using just one dashboard and one interface to see the health of all server and devices from two networks?

There´s some way to replicate data between Nagios from two network and obtain all information in just one interface?

As I talked before, I don´t have many skills in Nagios and don´t know all resources of this tool, neither know if it´s the best solution to this environment, please let me some suggestion that you have, my mind is free to accept new ideas and concepts.

Thank you for your attention.

Emerson
mguthrie

Re: Replication Between Nagios Servers

Post by mguthrie »

There are a couple of possible solutions. We do have a new product set to release on Oct 1st that does exactly what you're talking about called Nagios Fusion.
http://www.nagios.com/products/nagiosfusion

DNX is another distributed monitoring possibility, but I believe that's more of a job distributor than a central viewer. Here's our Doc on it.
http://library.nagios.com/library/speci ... ith-nagios

Nagios Core also has the ability to do distributed monitoring, but I'm less familiar with it, but here's the documentation on it.
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/distributed.html

Hope that helps!
mmestnik

Post by mmestnik »

Could you give a little bit more information?

Server A is closed off, outbound only. How do you manage it? You can't ssh into it or my previous statement would be incorrect. Please clarify what exactly is not allowed... or rather what is allowed as there should be a handful of things that are allowed while a nearly infinite that are forbidden.

Server B can't report to server A, that much is clear from your post. Thus server A must pool or report to server B.

I would configure server B with the standard NRPE or the new NRDP configuration and without the NagiosXI/Core software. Then have server A connect in and query remotely(pooling) all the services for which server B has access.

This means that server B would sit relatively unmanaged and all access into your monitoring software would be done via an internal web interface on server A.

...The distributed monitoring stuff should be reserved for load critical cases.
emerson.candido

Post by emerson.candido »

Hello Mguthrie,

I didn´t know that there´s many solutions for this problems.

I´ll explore the functionalities about these tools and choose the best for my environment.

Thank you so much for the tips.

Emerson