State information stored outside the database?

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
jcnb

State information stored outside the database?

Post by jcnb »

Hi,

I have installed Nagios along with NDO and NagiosQL. I have noticed that information about monitored hosts are stored in table NagiosQL. Also I have noticed that the information about localhost are stored in the database Nagios. The state information is stored in the file nagios.log. Am I right? So for me to manipulate the information about the state of monitored assets, I have to get the information in the log file Nagios? I'm not using the database to handle state information?
Last edited by jcnb on Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
agriffin

Re: State information stored outside the database?

Post by agriffin »

The NDO database holds information about host & service state changes. The NagiosQL database stores your Nagios configuration. Both NDO and NagiosQL are add-ons to Nagios Core, and their databases duplicate information that Nagios normally stores in text files, like the config files and nagios.log.
jcnb wrote:So for me to manipulate the information about the state of monitored assets, I'm using the Nagios log file? I do not have how to use the database to handle state information?
I don't understand what you're asking here exactly, could you clarify?
jcnb

Post by jcnb »

Thanks for your reply.

Excuse me with English! Through the web interface of Nagios, I can generate the report availability, but how can I generate a report of performance in terms of latency and packet loss?

Then I found the option in the file status.dat check_latency. I can have every 30s or file retention daily values ​​verification latency. But these latency values ​​are not in the database!
agriffin

Post by agriffin »

jcnb wrote:Excuse me with English! Through the web interface of Nagios, I can generate the report availability, but how can I generate a report of performance in terms of latency and packet loss?
You could get a report about the service states, including how often they were OK/WARNING/CRITICAL. For something more detailed there are various graphing and reporting tools you can use with Nagios to get the functionality you want. Try pnp4nagios for example.
jcnb wrote:Then I found the option in the file status.dat check_latency. I can have every 30s or file retention daily values ​​verification latency. But these latency values ​​are not in the database!
That's not a configuration option, it's recording how long it took to run the check plugin.
jcnb

Post by jcnb »

Thank you,

I installed the pnp4nagios and met needs including custom logo.
jcnb

Post by jcnb »

In fact, the pnp4nagios solves partial but solves. Since I can create performance report. However, how to manipulate the state information? I have verified that apparently there are plugins for this: loadlogs.pl and NAGDB. These plugins store state information in a database and from there I can manipulate this information. I'm accepting any hint of how to install and use these plugins.
sreinhardt
-fno-stack-protector

Post by sreinhardt »

Could you link to where you found loadlogs.pl? As for nagDB this seems to be a pretty straightforward install. What issues are you having?
Nagios-Plugins maintainer exclusively, unless you have other C language bugs with open-source nagios projects, then I am happy to help! Please pm or use other communication to alert me to issues as I no longer track the forum.