NSClient - ERROR: Invalid password.

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
sheld0r

NSClient - ERROR: Invalid password.

Post by sheld0r »

I've got kind of a simple question, so I'm getting an error stating 'NSClient - ERROR: Invalid password.' on a few newly added nodes. I know I entered the right password, but how can I go back and edit the password. I don't see an option. I wanted to see if I'm able to go back and edit, whether it be on the client or server node before I uninstall the NSClient++ agent and reinstall it where it will then ask me for the password again.

Cheers,
gshergill

Re: NSClient - ERROR: Invalid password.

Post by gshergill »

Hi sheld0r,

On a windows server you can change the password in the following file (depending on install location):
C:\Program Files\NSClient++\nsclient.ini
Scroll down till you find "password = " and change the password as required.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

Gary Shergill
slansing

Post by slansing »

Gshergill is correct, that is the location to edit the password for all inbound checks from your nagios systems. The you must use the password flag on check_nrpe checks which should be set to:

Code: Select all

-s "passwordhere"
sheld0r

Post by sheld0r »

As I thought, the password is indeed correct on the client. I don't quite understand what to do slansing. Is this a command I run, or an edit to the host? Very new to Nagios, especially the inner workings of Nagios.

Cheers,
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

First let me verify, does the password have special chars,
ie

$ ! \ ;
etc?

If so these will need to be escaped in XI.

Second, if this isn't the case, you will want to go to Configure -> CCM -> Services -> Modify (one of these services)

Verify the $ARG1$ field does match the password.
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com
slansing

Post by slansing »

Lets start with a simple CLI ran check to the remote host, run the following from your command line filling in the quoted areas with your information:

/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H "YOUR HOST ADDRESS" -p 5666 -s "YOUR PASSWORD" -c "your check's alias here followed by it's flags and values"