Half my AIX check are "NRPE: Unable to read output"

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
BanditBBS

Half my AIX check are "NRPE: Unable to read output"

Post by BanditBBS »

As the title says, half my check on AIX are responding with "NRPE: Unable to read output"

All checks are using NRPE, so it *shouldn't* be NRPE. I have run the checks manually and they run fine and give me a result. When testing manually, we have run them as the nagios user, so again, it *shoudln't* be a permissions issue. It is as soon as NRPE is thrown into the mix that I get the error.

Example:

Code: Select all

hermes /nagios/libexec # ./test.pl -f -w 50 -c 30 -C
WARNING - 38.6% (1618888 kB) free!|TOTAL=4194304KB;;;; USED=2575416KB;;;; FREE=1618888KB;;;; CACHES=1528412KB;;;;

hermes /nagios/libexec # ./check_nrpe -n -H 10.97.235.15 -c check_test -a '-f -C -w 20 -c 10'
NRPE: Unable to read output
Yes I modified the nrpe.cfg file and added the check_test command, or I would have received command not defined instead.
Last edited by BanditBBS on Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
2 of XI5.6.14 Prod/DR/DEV - Nagios LogServer 2 Nodes
See my projects on the Exchange at BanditBBS - Also check out my Nagios stuff on my personal page at Bandit's Home and at github
slansing

Re: Half my AIX check are "NRPE: Unable to read output"

Post by slansing »

Try running a bounce back check between the Remote host and the Nagios system, this will let us know if they can talk or not:

/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H "place.your.host.IP.here'
BanditBBS

Post by BanditBBS »

slansing wrote:Try running a bounce back check between the Remote host and the Nagios system, this will let us know if they can talk or not:

/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H "place.your.host.IP.here'
Yes, they can talk, as stated only have the checks are coming back with the error. The other half(also using NRPE) work fine. Also, I'm trying this all locally from the server itself before I even bring XI into the picture. Until I get same output from the check_nrpe as I do from check_test it is workless to bring the XI server or XI itself into the picture.
See my projects on the Exchange at BanditBBS - Also check out my Nagios stuff on my personal page at Bandit's Home and at github
slansing

Post by slansing »

Are you able to get valid plugin information when not using the "no ssl flag (-n)" Try running a test without it and lets see what happens.
BanditBBS

Post by BanditBBS »

Just to show some examples:

Working Test

hermes /nagios/libexec # ./check_nrpe -H localhost -c check_load -a '-w 15,10,5 -c 30,20,10'
OK - load average: 1.42, 1.70, 1.71|load1=1.420;15.000;30.000;0; load5=1.700;10.000;20.000;0; load15=1.710;5.000;10.000;0;
None working test

hermes /nagios/libexec # ./check_nrpe -H localhost -c check_test -a '-f -C -w 20 -c 10'
NRPE: Unable to read output
Above test without using nrpe

hermes /nagios/libexec # ./test -f -C -w 20 -c 10
OK - 38.6% (1617188 kB) free.|TOTAL=4194304KB;;;; USED=2577116KB;;;; FREE=1617188KB;;;; CACHES=1530364KB;;;;
nrpe.cfg config

command[check_test]=/usr/local/nagios/libexec/test $ARG1$
command[check_load]=/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_load $ARG1$
BanditBBS

Post by BanditBBS »

ignore my issue for the moment. I think I have it resolved. I will add the resolution when I am sure.
BanditBBS

Post by BanditBBS »

It was the configured folder for the checks in the nrpe.cfg. Why only half the checks didn't work right, I have no idea. So if you are having issues, make sure your folders are configured properly.

I am still having issue with one of my checks though, the total processes one, I think I need to elevate the nagios user permissions when it runs that check. I won't know until later(AIX admin is busy today). I'll be testing these checks on 5.x, 6.x and 7.x. If they all work fine, I will upload them to the Exchange. They are all based off of currently available checks, just modified to work with a very basic install of AIX.

I marked this thread with a check as the original issue has been resolved.
slansing

Post by slansing »

Were you using a non standard plugin directory for some checks? Or were the permissions faulty? This is an odd case, if you get a chance let us know what comes up when you get to poke around later.