Hosts not getting deleted

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
TSCAdmin

Hosts not getting deleted

Post by TSCAdmin »

Hello,

We are having a strange problem.

I have deleted a host and applied the configuration but I am still able to see it in the web interface
03result.jpg
to verify I checked if there are any enteries for host and services and I get the following
02service.jpg
01host.jpg
I have additionally checked /usr/local/nagios/etc/hosts and /usr/local/nagios/etc/services and nothing is there, not even in the nagios_hosts table.

I couldn't figure out where nagios is caching this information.

Additionally I am getting the following lines in the nagios.log

[1285931768] Warning: Check result queue contained results for host 'duk2esr0003', but the host could not be found! Perhaps you forgot to define the host in your config files?
[1285932053] Warning: The check of service 'Ping' on host 'duk2esr0003' looks like it was orphaned (results never came back). I'm scheduling an immediate check of the service...
[1285932413] Warning: The check of host 'duk2esr0003' looks like it was orphaned (results never came back). I'm scheduling an immediate check of the host...

Is there anyway I can delete this host safely?

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
diegosiassb

Re: Hosts not getting deleted

Post by diegosiassb »

check in database

and
check static config
mguthrie

Post by mguthrie »

Yeah, we've seen this before, it might be that you have multiple instances of Nagios running.

http://support.nagios.com/wiki/index.ph ... g_Orphaned

That's the most probable cause.

You can also try using the Write Configuration Tool to force the database info to be written to the config files. Make sure to verify before restarting Nagios though.
TSCAdmin

Post by TSCAdmin »

Thank you, mguthrie :)

It was indeed the cause. I stopped nagios and there was still one more instance running.
TSCAdmin

Post by TSCAdmin »

while we are at it, what is the most common reason for this condition?

is it a known bug?
mmestnik

Post by mmestnik »

It's happened to me prior to working for Nagios Enterprises, however it's never been identified as anything more then user error.

I'm doing some more investigating on this, so I'm asking for gdb backtraces and more importantly core files(including a copy of the "unstripped" exe that generated them.) It's my believe that something is preventing Nagios from exiting when asked.

If you experience this a lot try and see if you can't get a pre-bug core file as well. Any information we can get to help track this will help.