Increase or eliminate session time out

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
fmpub

Increase or eliminate session time out

Post by fmpub »

We have a nice big screen in our NOC that we like to put XI up on but we have notices on our own workstations that after some time XI clears our sessions and we have to log back in. This is not ideal for a NOC screen. What can I do to remove or extend this limit so that our NOC guys don't have to constantly log back into Nagios on the computer that drives that screen, because honestly they'll just stop using the tool if they constantly have to re-auth.
mguthrie

Re: Increase or eliminate session time out

Post by mguthrie »

We don't have a clean way of doing this at the moment, let me see if I can find the line of code to change for it. We're going to put this on our feature TODO list so people can change this config. I'll send you what I find out.
mguthrie

Post by mguthrie »

Here's the line to change for the session time, that'll be the simplest solution for now:

Edit the following file with vim or your preferred text editor.

/usr/local/nagiosxi/html/includes/utils.inc.php
...starting at line 76:

Code: Select all

$cookie_timeout=60*30; // in seconds
        $cookie_path="/";
        $garbage_timeout=$cookie_timeout+600; //in seconds

Change the above times to be larger numbers as your needs require.
mguthrie

Post by mguthrie »

Are you opening a particular view in a new browser window to view your data? If you have the full window/menus in XI opened, the Ajax requests should automatically refresh the page and the session every 30 seconds. If you're viewing one of the iframes as it's own window, then it will time out after 30 minutes. If you want to view the data as it's own window while keeping the ajax requests going, click the small blue triangle in the upper left of the iframe to expand the view and hide the menus. This will allow you to view a page indefinitely as long as the browser is open.