From Nagios Support Wiki
Back To Nagios XI Overview
Answers to Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) regarding Nagios XI can be found here.
- 1 FAQs
- 1.1 Common Solutions - Try These First
- 1.2 Distributed Monitoring
- 1.3 Performance Graphs Are Missing Or Not Displayed
- 1.4 Core Config Manager Issues
- 1.5 Missing Email Alerts
- 1.6 SourceGuardian Errors
- 1.7 Resolving "NSP: Sorry Dave, I can't let you do that" Errors
- 1.8 Login Keeps Redirecting
- 1.9 Unable To Delete Hosts
What Are FAQS? Frequently Asked Questions, or "FAQs", are listed questions to frequently asked in some context, and pertain to a particular topic.
Fun Note: Since the acronym FAQ originated in textual media, its pronunciation varies - "fack," "fax," "facts," and "F.A.Q." are commonly heard. Depending on its usage, the term may refer specifically to a single frequently asked question, or to an assembled list of many questions and their answers.
Common Solutions - Try These First
Follow these steps if you are encountering problems with Nagios XI. These actions solve many commonly asked questions.
Instructions on how to do it.
- How To Reset Security Credentials (if performance graphs aren't displayed)
Select the Reset Security Credentials option in the Admin section and click Update.
- How To Reset File Permissions (if configuration changes are not taking effect)
- Debugging Configuration Change Problems (if configuration changes are not taking effect)
Write configuration file tool.
Nagios Admin Account Notifications Not Controlled Through XI
- The nagiosadmin user was set to use the generic_template contact template, which resulted in notifications not being controlled through the XI interface.
This can be corrected by changing the user's contact template to be xi_generic_template is the Core Config Manager. This bug was corrected in 2009R1.2 and only effects systems that had/have previous versions installed.
Is Nagios XI capable of Distributed Monitoring?
Performance Graphs Are Missing Or Not Displayed
This can happen for a variety of reasons, but there are several simple solutions that resolve this issue for most people:
- Reset Security Credentials
Select the Reset Security Credentials option in the Admin menu and click Update
- Reset File Permissions
Instructions on how to reset file permissions.
- Further reading
Core Config Manager Issues
Missing Email Alerts
This can happen for a variety of reasons:
- The nagiosadmin is set to use the generic_template contact template.
This should be xi_generic_template, and can be modified by using the Core Config Manager. This bug was corrected in 2009R1.2 and only effects systems that had/have previous versions installed.
- Outbound SMTP connections may be blocked by your border firewall
- Unauthenticated SMTP relaying may be denied somewhere downstream - try switching email methods from Sendmail to SMTP in the admin section
After upgrading to 2009R1.2C, some users started getting an error about SourceGuardian. Add this line to your /etc/php.ini file:
Once you make that change, restart Apache:
service restart httpd
Resolving "NSP: Sorry Dave, I can't let you do that" Errors
Login Keeps Redirecting
The web browser keeps redirecting to the login screen even after entering login credentials. This has been noticed in Internet Explorer.
Unable To Delete Hosts
Hosts can only be deleted after all of their dependent services and associated relationships have been deleted. Make sure to delete any associated services or other objects before deleting the host.