Exchange Databases Unknown after editing .cfg file

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
billperrotta

Re: Exchange Databases Unknown after editing .cfg file

Post by billperrotta »

I am the closest to a nagios admin this company will get.

Let me know files to check so i can post info here.

all dbs say "No handler for command: -a" do i ; should i comment them out?

the names of the databases are defined as services. I got new ones to appear by imitating the statements in the existing ones.

they all show up as unknown.

There must be a way to comment out services commands that I have no idea about.

A tutorial on how to setup monitoring on my new storage group?

I know about as much as you do about it that is why I am here asking for help.

taking someone elses server after they are gone is not easy but I have gotten most things working with the exception of this.
slansing

Post by slansing »

I made an edit to my previous post but you may not have seen it:

All you need to do is comment the lines out for each host, and it's services that you no longer wish to monitor, commenting out the .cfg files is as easy as placing a '#' in the front of the lines that you do not want nagios to read. That or removing them from the nagios configuration file, that is as easy as it is going to get with Nagios Core.
You need to find the services which you don't want to monitor, like what you just showed above. Then go look for the service configuration file in your SSH session and comment those service checks out. Verify your configurations, and restart nagios, they should no longer show in the interface.
billperrotta

Post by billperrotta »

Thats well and good I might try.

But it has been hard to find a tutorial to setup brand new monitoring for the stores from scratch?
tmcdonald

Post by tmcdonald »

I'm a bit weird in that I actually like writing documentation, so if you were to receive a New Nagios User's Guide what would it contain?
Former Nagios employee
billperrotta

Post by billperrotta »

ok if you really want to. it would definitely contain a section on how to set exchange info store monitoring in nagios.

and would explain exacly how to copy nagios.cfg objects to add new devices.

Without lenghthy documentation. a reference to make it easier to get to what a person is trying to figure out.

Also it says "there is no handler for command -a".

I am new to nagios and have no idea what this means.

I see no commands -a in them I can comment out.

I am back to lost.

I posted the file earlier. Where should I look for the command causing this?
Last edited by billperrotta on Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eloyd
Cool Title Here

Post by eloyd »

May I suggest that you consider attending the Nagios World Conference in October? Sally Reich will be doing a "Newb to Nagios in Ninety Days" talk about someone who went from knowing nothing about Nagios to having installed it, configured it, monitored something, and then something really cool - monitoring beehives with Nagios.

You can see her bio at http://www.nagios.com/events/nagiosworl ... 4/speakers and then search for "reich" Plus, if you sign up using my link below, and I win the iPad, our company will donate it to charity! :-)
Eric Loyd • http://everwatch.global • 844.240.EVER • @EricLoydI'm a Nagios Fanatic!
billperrotta

Post by billperrotta »

Thanks for the invite

Also is the conference in new york?

Don't have a lot of time nice to learn about nagios, not my top priority.

However I like learning, about nagios linux android etc on my own time.
Last edited by billperrotta on Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eloyd
Cool Title Here

Post by eloyd »

The conference is in St Paul, Minnesota. You can see more by clicking on the link in my signature.
Eric Loyd • http://everwatch.global • 844.240.EVER • @EricLoydI'm a Nagios Fanatic!
billperrotta

Post by billperrotta »

Will this conference be available online you tube?
eloyd
Cool Title Here

Post by eloyd »

In the past, the conference videos have been made available to attendees in full. 10 minute (or so) excerpts have been made publicly available months after the conference.

I do not work for or with Nagios Enterprises, however, and cannot commit to what will happen this year.